21) Five of Hearts [1] ✮

Part 2: Hope

The day after Charī joined the Beach...

===Zakū Raisunei===
High School Student
Specialty:

Sleep was often elusive these days; insomnia had had a grasp on my mind for years, but in the Borderlands, especially after the Eight of Hearts, it had tightened its grip.

I was running on two hours of sleep—no ideal condition, yet I had no choice but to play in tonight's game, not because my Visa was going to expire, but because I needed to reap any victims of their cards. It's such a simple idea; it baffled me how I didn't think of it sooner. Surely, there would be a way out of this place. And what makes more sense than collecting every card?

Well—the Face Cards were an issue, but I would prospect that when the time came.

Tonight's venue was a courtroom. The granite steps leading up to it shone from the streetlights lined along the rusting wrought iron fence. The ceiling towered over me, supported by six white, ornate pillars. At the tip of the roof was a massive scale, which sat on a ledge that stuck out from the wall.

I sat on the step, next to a row of planters. The leaves had begun browning; the Tokyo sun and lack of watering were likely the causes behind the withering.

Two people approached; I turned my head, and was met with two familiar faces: Rafferty and Judumai. I gave a small nod, and Rafferty waved.

Rafferty Bucke
Forensic Scientist (On Probation)
Specialty:

Judumai Waka
Pianist
Specialty:

"Zakū!" Judumai shouted. "How've you been?"

I stuck my hand out and rotated it in both directions, indicating a 'so-so' motion. He nodded. "Yeah, I've been alright too."

A car pulled up. The doors opened, and three people stepped out. The first face was familiar; Niko emerged from the driver seat, red ribbon still around his wrist. The sixteen days since I first saw him had been a long time; long enough to gather the information needed to know what that ribbon was. And if this time, he came non-discreetly in a car, then surely...

Two others left the car. 'Yup, these are all Beach members.' I thought, identifying their bracelets. One had a white bracelet labeled '管理'—management. However, the other person—someone about my age—had a blank white bracelet.

Niko Cheney - Food Council
Chef • Foreign Exchange Student
Specialty:

Chihaya Korinsu - Management Council
Freelance DJ
Specialty:

Charī Kasutoro
High School Student
Specialty:

"Registration closes in five minutes." Speakers in the yard announced. I strained my ears to pick up on their conversation.

"... Test game. We're just going to see how you do, and any skills you have. Okay, Charī?"

My heart skipped, and I immediately snapped my head towards him. 'No way... Charī Kasutoro?' His short figure came into view, his face obscured by some sort of electronic mask that had a perpetual smile. Out of anyone, he must've been the one I knew the most; we had attended the same prestigious school in the prior world. We didn't interact, but there was one thing I knew about him which no one else did: