67) Queen of Diamonds [3]

"By the time he died, there was no calling off the operation. Erina and Ryota had long since created the Beach, and Maindo had long set their eyes on it. If it weren't for Yaba, all the Beach casualties could've been avoided. I resent him for this the most."

===Chihaya Korinsu===

– – – – – –

11 year ago

I threw open the door to our apartment, my legs sore from delivery. I dropped my backpack beside the door, leaning against the wall and taking a breath, wiping the sweat off my forehead.

"Mom! I'm home!" I shouted, yet no response followed. 'She probably had a shift today.'

Chihaya Korinsu, then sixteen

I counted the money I had earned from delivering the parts across the city: about ninety thousand yen, enough for this month's rent, on top of being able to buy a birthday gift. I smiled, taking off my hat and walking into a kitchen, where a note was left on the fridge.

Korinsu, I have an overnight shift until tomorrow morning. There is soup for dinner tonight on the stove for you all. I did what I could with what we have left, but will be returning home with more groceries. Please do not oversleep tomorrow so you can help your siblings get ready for school.

Putting the note aside, I uncovered the pot, and frowned, tilting it. The flavor was bold and complex, yet there was so little.

I had three younger siblings, a sister who just started middle school and two brothers in first and third grade. I looked into the tap, tapping the counter, then sighed. There would be enough for each of them to enjoy. I, however, opened another cupboard, pulling out a packet of crackers. I would be fine with that for tonight.

Our father had died in a construction accident a year after my youngest brother was born, so I suppose it was natural that I had to step up as a leader. They had grown up in a small rural town, moving to a city to seek work. But with my mom's increasing difficulty walking as she aged, it was difficult for her to find new work, so as soon as I was old enough, I began working jobs I could find to contribute.

While all my friends were getting girlfriends and going to summer camp, I was stuck painting houses, delivering parcels, pruning trees, and studying–lots of it.

It paid off. I was able to go to a nice college near Tokyo, and commute from a cheap flat near the edge of Tokyo.

. . .

9 years later

"Last night was insane!" I shouted, falling into my couch. "I made like, a month's worth of rent in one night!"

"I'm telling you man, the people love your DJing!" Akio said, sitting down next to me. "How many different clubs have seen your music and been calling you about a permanent position?"

"I think I received an email earlier today," I said, "from the Ginza club near Shibuya Square!"

"That's a good location!" He shouted. "You'll be set! Speaking of which, how's the feedback for your second album?"

"It's pretty good." I said, flipping open my laptop. "There's a lot more attention, and two of the songs have already surpassed a million views! That's more than all the listens to my first album's songs combined!"

Alice in Borderland: The Cycle Continuesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें