Chapter 138

Tony's POV

Marlie's outburst caught me off guard. I knew how much Thanos had haunted her, he'd haunted me too, but this seemed different, she'd seemed different. Since discovering the files in the warehouse last year, she's had a weight on her. I've seen it. I've tried everything I could think of to help her, but she couldn't share this weight with me, and I hated it. Now knowing what I do, I can understand why. Though she seemed to still be harboring something, something I was afraid to ask about.

This go at Strange was the first time I've seen her let out some of the anger, frustration, and fear, she'd been harboring. It pained me to watch. When she made Peter an Avenger, I knew it was the right move, and Peter's response of first disbelief and then resolve only solidified the decision in my mind.

I didn't know how far away from Titan we were, but I knew I needed to talk with her before we arrived. I had no idea what we were walking into and there were things I needed to get off my chest and I had a feeling Marlie did too.

I walked over to where she was sitting and sat down next to her. She was sitting with her elbows on her knees and her face in her hands. Her muscles were taunt with tension as I heard her quiet sobs break the silence. My heart broke to see her like this.

I scooted over until the space between us vanished and reached my arm over and pulled into my side. She buried her face into my shoulder and gripped my jacket tightly as her sobs broke loose. We sat there for a while, not saying a word. I just let her cry.

After a while her sobs stopped, but she maintained her hold on me. I kissed the top of her head and tried to come up with the right words.

"Marlie, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I was angry with you. I know you can't tell me what's going to happen, so I won't ask. I trust you and I know whatever is about to happen has to. I've only seen one haunting vision of a figmented future. I can't imagine what you've seen or the pressure you've felt. Honey."

I looked at her and brought my hands to her face making her look at me. The pain, fear, and aguish in her eyes shook me. I took a moment to collect myself before continuing.

"Lee, you need to know, that whatever happens, it's not your fault. You've been placed in an impossible situation, and I know you've done everything you could have possibly done to make sure we come out on top. I love you, Lee. I trust you with everything in me. I guess I've just been scared."

I couldn't stop my voice from breaking as I looked into her eyes. I used my thumbs to wipe away her tears.

"What are you scared of?" Marlie asked me quietly in a slightly hoarse tone from crying.

"Losing you and the family we've built together. I can't risk it. I can't lose you Marlie. I can't and for the first time and worried. We've never fought someone like Thanos before. The stakes have never been higher. I've always been afraid of losing you and now we have kids to worry about. For the first time I don't know what to do."

I couldn't stop my voice from cracking. Marlie released her hands from my jacket and brought them up to my own and I grasped onto them like a lifeline.

"Tony, no matter what happens, I'll always be by your side. I promise you that at the end of all this, we'll still be a family."

As she said this, she gave me a small smile, that I couldn't help but return. I never deserved this woman, and I never will. I can't believe how far we've come since first meeting in 2009. We've come a long way and have overcome so much more.

"Thank you, Tony. Thank you for trusting me. I needed to hear it. And thanks for letting me break down. It's a lot to handle and I guess I've been keeping it locked inside for too long."

I smiled down at her and squeezed her hand. "You're welcome. Now, is there anything you can tell me? Anything I need to know before we reach Titan?"

She thought for a moment before responding. "Yeah... we won't face Thanos alone."

I looked at her confused. "What do you mean?"

"You'll see." She said as she leaned against me and rested her head on my shoulder.

We sat there for a moment before a thought occurred to me.

"I've been meaning to ask." I said then paused.

"Hmm?"

"Back when everything with the Accords started, you said that we had reached a crossroads that would determine the course of the future. If things had gone differently... if we would have been able to resolve our differences... would things have turned out better?"

She thought for a long time before answering.

"One of my clearer visions of the future showed me that alternative. In that specific chain of events, yes, things would have been better, but not in the way you may think. Victory would be assured, but the course of event to reach that victory vary by several different circumstances. Maybe when all this is over, I'll explain it to you, but now isn't the time to focus on the past." She said sounding tired.

After a while, I felt her muscles relax and breathing deepen and I knew she had fallen asleep. I adjusted her into a more comfortable position and let her sleep. She needed it.