Chapter 19

Eddie's POV

The Ancient One's plan was shit, with way too many variables that could go wrong, but it was also the only plan that we had. So, here I am back at my Garden State lab beginning my part of the plan. The plan was to combined the abilities of the Tesseract and Time Stone to create a time portal, that the Ancient One would control. I would then go through the portal and arrive one year before the purple giant destroys the natural flow of the universe. After warning them I would then use the same method to return to my time and no one would have any idea that I left. I expressed some concerns about convincing these strangers, but the Ancient One said that with the Captain there, I would be able to convince them.

The fact that the Captain is somehow alive in the future is very confusing since he died in 1945. Well, however it happened him being there will help convince the others to believe me.

I keep asking the Ancient One 'why me?' but her response each time is that the stones chose me. Whatever the hell that even mean? Whatever, I'll do this to help save the future but then I'm coming directly back. I don't know how my knowledge of the Tesseract will help me to help them but there is no arguing with the Ancient One.

I'm currently in my lab in Garden State beginning the first phase of the plan. It is my job to build the portal for the Tesseract. It shouldn't be too difficult since the Ancient One was able to fill in all the blanks of my research. It will take time though because the calibrations need to be precise and there are several part that I need to make or order.

I've decided not to tell anyone about this they'll just think I'm crazy. Maybe I am for trusting this woman, but when my curiosity is struck, it is hard to turn away. And the future fascinates me. The technology alone would be incredible to examine. Especially after what I saw in those visions.

I spend the next week locked in my lab working on the blueprints. I am keeping everything coded and, in a lockbox, so no one can see what it is I'm building. I have a feeling that Howie, Peggy, and Jasper are all going to be worried about me again. That's okay, I'll just go save the universe and then come home and apologize.

The pressures of having to save the universe is a lot for one person to bare alone. And I have to bear it alone. Its how I've always handled things, so it isn't anything new, but the pressure of all those lives is a lot and outside of the lab, I'm starting to crack under the pressure.

I'm sitting at my worktable when Howie enters the room. "Hey, you busy?"

I look up from my work. "Not really, I'm just finishing up here."

I can tell he is excited about something. "I want to show you something."

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the most gorgeous rings. It is a white gold with a large center diamond that has three smaller diamond in a triangular arrangement on either side.

"I'm flattered Howie but aren't you in a serious relationship?" He just gives me the look that says 'really'. I chuckle. "Its gorgeous Howie so when are you going to propose?"

He had a huge smile on his face. "This weekend. I'm taking Maria to Paris and I'm going to do it at the Eiffel Tower. Do you really think she'll like the ring because I could always get a different one?" I put my hand on his shoulder. It was amusing to watch him be nervous. Howie isn't nervous often.

"Don't worry Howie. She'd love anything that came from you, because for some reason she loves you." We both smile at my teasing, and I pull him in for a hug.

Howie put the ring back into his jacket pocket "Great now that, that's settled. What are you working on? You've been down here for at least twelve hours."

I'm suddenly nervous. I haven't decided what I am going to tell Howie about this project. It needs to be close to the truth without giving away any details about things that I shouldn't know about, like the future.

"Well, I had this idea, that if it works it could change the future. It's still a work in progress so I don't want to share anything yet, but I'm hopeful." Thankfully Howie didn't question it, but I'm going to have to come up with a better explanation if I am to keep suspicion down.

Howie was about to say something when my stomach growled loudly. Howie just laughed. "You're joining me and Maria for dinner."

I was about to object. I needed to finish the blueprints. "No arguments. I can't trust you to eat on your own. I know you Eddie, you will forget. So, you are coming to dinner with us."

I could tell there was no convincing him otherwise. "Fine, but you're paying." He laughed.

"You bet." I quickly put everything in the lockbox, grabbed my coat, and followed Howie out to the car.