Chapter 102

Marlie's POV

After the others left, I contact Maria. She gives me their location and I fly to meet them. I arrive at an old SHIELD base and walk in. Friday alerts me of several heat signatures coming from a large warehouse section of the building. I head in that direction and when I walk in, I'm met with a shock.

In front of me is a large helicarrier and at least one hundred agents to run it. "Impressive right?" I turn and see Fury approaching me.

"You never cease to surprise." I say back taking it all in.

"I was surprised when Hill told me you were coming. I figured you'd be in the thick of things with the others." Fury says giving me a pointed look. I can tell he's fishing for answers, but he isn't getting any.

"It's all part of the plan, Nickie." Is all I say before boarding the helicarrier.

I walk onto the bridge, with Fury right behind me and I see Hill giving orders. Once she sees me, she walks over. "So, where to boss?" She asks me, annoying Fury.

"Sokovia." I state and she nods and starts giving the agents directions.

"Well, if it isn't Tony Stark's girl." I hear a familiar voice say and I turn around to see Rhodey walking over.

I greet him with a smile. "Oh, come on Rhodes we both know I'm more than that to you." I say slyly and pull him in for a hug. "So, fury called you in?"

"Yep, I seem to always be cleaning up yours and Tony's messes." He says with a smile.

"Just remember Rhodes who built that suit of yours." I fire back, then I get more serious. "You been briefed?" I ask.

"Yep, Hill caught me up on everything. I'm here to help." He says.

I smile at him and place my hand on his shoulder. "Thanks, Rhodey. It really does mean a lot to Tony, that you always have his back. You're a good friend." I say.

He smiles back. "Well, I got yours too you know. You mean the world to Tony. He'd be a mess with out you." He says genuinely.

"It'd be the same the other way around." I say back meaning every word of it. "Well, I'm gonna go suit up and fly ahead." I say. "Be careful out there."

"You are too. Watch your six." Rhodey says back and I nod.

I leave Rhodes and I decide to find a quiet room where I can set up, to allow me to focus on controlling my suit. I end up finding an old empty storage room. I grab a chair and set it in the middle of the room. I sit down and put the headset on and remotely activate my suit. I then tap into Tony's comms.

"Tony, you there? Can you hear me?" I ask

"Yep, loud and clear." I hear him say back.

"What's going on? Where are you guys??" I ask.

"We're just about to arrive. You're just in time to hear one of Cap's iconic hope speeches." Tony says back.

"Perfect. Patch me through." I say and he does.

"Can you hear us Marlie?" I hear Tony ask.

"Crystal clear." I say.

"Perfect, alright everyone gathers up." I hear Steve say. "Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. The people of Sokovia, they didn't. So, our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace. And that's not gonna happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done. We find out what Ultron's been building, we find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters. That we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right." Steve finishes and I can hear them land.