Chapter 35

Tony's POV

It's been about a week since Marlie officially moved in and it has been the best two weeks of my life. I love having her around. Most of our time has been spent getting everything situated. I spoke with Pepper and Marlie is going to be a bit of a mediator between me and the company. She has also expressed interest in helping Pepper out on occasion. Marlie keeps bringing up the topic of her own suit. Every time she mentions it, I get this sick feeling deep in my gut, but I know eventually it will happen. I'd much rather help make the suit as safe as possible, which is why I've already decided that I will help her, but I'm going to put it off for as long as possible. I've also been putting together a surprise for her that I will give her after this meeting.

Some of the best times with her have been the little moments. I've been slowly educating her on some of the most important aspects of pop culture, at least according to me. As we work, I'll have Jarvis play different music, starting of course with ACDC and a couple of evenings a week we will watch a movie. The movies are my favorites and she seems to enjoy them. We always sit side-by-side, sharing the same blanket. There have even been a few times where she has fallen asleep leaning against me.

I've never enjoyed the feeling of someone in my arms more than her. Her tiny little frame seems to fit perfectly in my arms. I'm satisfied with her being in my arms, but this girl is starting to wiggle her way into the deep crevasses of my heart. A place I've never let anyone go or see, but with her it only seems right.

I'm currently in this old warehouse, sitting in front of a small desk with two files in front of me and two different holographic screens. The screen to the right is SHIELD's logo and the one on the left is the news. They're still discussing the events of last week. I pick up the file that is about the Avengers Initiative. Suddenly, a hand pushes the file out of my hands and onto the table. I look up.

"I don't think I want you looking at that." He sits down and leans back in his chair. "I'm not sure it pertains to you anymore." He picks up the other file on the table. "Now this on the other hand is Agent Romanoff's assessment of you." He offers me the file. "Read it."

I open the file and begin to read. "Uhh. Personality overview Mr. Stark displays compulsive behavior." I look at Fury. "In my own defense that was last week." I turn back to the file. "Prone to self-destructive tendencies. I was dying. I mean please aren't we all? Textbook narcissism. Agreed" I continued to skim through the file. "Okay here it is. Accruement assessment for Avengers Initiative, Iron Man yes." I shut the file and look at Fury. "I got to think about it."

He just stares at me. "Read on."

I open the file back up. "Tony Stark not, not, recommended." This didn't make sense. "That doesn't make any sense. How could you approve me, but not approve me?" I shut the file and put it back on the table. "I got a new ticker. I'm trying to do right by um Marlie. I'm in a stableish friendship with her."

Fury stand and walks around the table. He sits down on the table next to me. "Which leads me to believe that at this juncture we would only like to use you as a consultant, Ms. Edwards too.

I stood up and offered my hand, which he took. "You can't afford me." With that I turn to leave but stop. "Then again I will wave my customary retainer in exchange for a small favor." Fury looks skeptical at this. "Rhodey and I are being honored in Washington and we need a presenter."

"I'll see what I can do."

With that I leave and start to head home with one small pit stop.

Marlie's POV

Tony should be arriving anytime now. I'm currently standing in the kitchen trying to cook a new recipe I found on the internet, and it seems to be going well so far. I can cook but it definitely isn't my strong suit.