The name is Riley Frightkins

Son of Alpha Jack.

The demon slayer.

The red-furred beast.

I go by many names. But from today on, I shall be known as Riley Frightkins.

Since today, I have sworn to protect my people. To protect my pack and the dying race of werewolves. I still don't understand why only we werewolves are the sacrifices for dragons.

My mind travels back to when my father died.

I wish it were all a bad, bad nightmare. I wish to wake up...

"Riley." They have dropped the surname for the time being. Eugene has instructed everyone to call me by my real name. He believed that I would win the title through my efforts. Shall I ever be good enough?

Brushing my long, untamed yet soft raven hair backwards into a man bun, I get to my feet. Oh. I almost forgot to bring the armour with me. Eugene glances at me and sees me struggle while lifting the armour.

"You're meek like a girl." He says. Huh? Did he forget already that I'm the heir of alphas for this pack? My mind couldn't tolerate the disrespect. But deep down, I knew he was intentionally riling me up to beat him back.

"I'll lift it up myself." I argue. His raised eyebrow made me growl from within. I should prove him wrong. I'm not meek like a girl! Slowly, we start walking while I'm struggling to shift my legs and walk in a straight line.

When we reach the training grounds, there are several same-aged teenagers like myself. Huh? As their next alpha, I've never seen them up close. I was treated like a princess, always locked into the tower. Here is the packhouse.

"Your attention!" Eugene bellows. Within seconds, the scattered group of individuals falls into a neat square of thirty. It was pleasing to the eye.

"Riley Frightkins is going to train alongside you from now on." He shall be called alpha once he's achieved the title, by himself. Until then, call him Riley. And treat him at the same level. From here on out, Riley shall stay amongst you and not in the packhouse." The last line makes me whip my head towards him.

No... no...

This can't be happening. I can't live anywhere else but in my packhouse. It's my home!

Besides, many memories of my father reside there. I can't let Eugene do this to me!

Out of the blue, a certain someone was clapping and hiding behind the cadets like a coward. He even begins to laugh.

Who is he...?

As his appearance comes into the scene, my eyes almost bulge out of my skull.

My father often used to say, "There is a war hero out there, son. He is Kal, Kal Rogen of the Southern Seas. Just once in my lifetime, I want to meet that warrior who has slayed over a thousand dragons through the decades and kept our lands safe. He is a rogue, you know."

Kal Rogen...

The immortal werewolf, who is over a hundred years old but still looks like he is in his thirties,

This must be a miracle.

"An immortal man and a cursed boy Is this even real?" Someone from the cadets said Same here. I can't believe it's true either.

The man walks with power, his arms taped with cloth, and wears an outfit similar to that of the extinct Viking breed. He was wondrous even to look at.

Oh, I feel like I'm a girl now.

"From now on, we have thirty-one cadets to train. And you shall train under me." Says Kal.

"Fall in line, boy." His voice speaks to me as he comes to stand beside Eugene.

"I'm leaving them to you. Train them to be the best they can be." Says Eugene.

Oh, how pathetic I must be. I almost forgot about the sad news Eugene just blew me up with and started ogling Kal Rogen!

I'm really stupid.

Well, the line of six held no place for me, as I was the extra. At last, I find my place at the very last.

Behind a girl.

She looks over my shoulder and gives me a harsh glare. I don't even know why I deserve that. Our heads turn back to Kal when he addresses our first set of instructions.

"I'm not going to bore you with stuff. As cadets going to war and protecting your own pack, you shall have the courage in you, by yourself." He says. I couldn't agree more.

"Always remember, kindness is the deity of good relationships. Your first task from now on is to become friends with other cadets. You're dismissed." He says this, sending us all into frenzy. What just happened? This isn't training.

The girl in front of me raises her hand, and I happen to see the muscles around her. Also, she raised it along with the armour.

She's stronger than me.

"Don't we have physical training, sir?" She had a throw in her voice.

"This is your training. We shall meet tomorrow on the grounds again. Better not be late." He says this and begins to walk away. I've never, ever seen a man so cool and composed until now. Even Eugene or Dad lost their cool when the eras of fighting were as bad as this. Does a rogue really not care about what happens to this world?

I guess so.

While our group was dismissed, I was suddenly curious about this girl. Throwing my armour down, the dust flying up in the air, I approach the girl.

"Hey!" Jeez, she's around my height.

She looks over her shoulder again. There are a couple of girls around her, and I believe she's popular among boys too.

She makes me so curious.

"Um, you're really strong for your age. And... gender. May I know your name?" I was trying to be as polite as possible to mix in with normal werewolves.

"Oiko Yelene." Saying that, she begins to walk away. Wow...

I'm really not famous, while she, with a weird enough name, has the hearts of people.

Or even mine too...