𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟔𝟎 { Ballroom Gala }

Start from the beginning

"I didn't get a chance to before but Sage, you look..." He pauses mid sentence to pinch the bridge of his nose. The soft breath he blew between his lips caused me to look away. "You look absolutely beautiful."

"T-Thank you." I blush at his compliment. "Uhh, you do as well." I add in return.

For a brief moment, I catch his eyes flickering to my lips and stay there longer than usual. His face suddenly inches closer to mine and this time I remind myself we aren't drunk on New Year's Eve with nobody else to fill out our loneliness. We're completely sober and aware of what comes next in a situation like this. And that's exactly why I pull away.

"S-She can't—I mean Rosalind can't see us come out of here, together. It wouldn't look good." I step back, looking at my numb feet screaming for dear life in these stiletto heels. It's the only thing distracting me from the unbearable tension that has formed between these four walls.

Elliot disguised his disappointment by clearing his throat and avoiding my eyes. "Right."

"I'll catch up with you later?"

"Yeah." He answers, faking a smile I know all too well. "Later."

I grab my clutch from the decorative corner table and tuck it underneath my arm, before disappearing out the door and leaving Elliot's broken heart behind it.

I was mad at myself for not feeling anything at all when he walked into a room. Elliot was the guy you brought back home to your parents. Nice, extremely handsome, with a stable job and overall a respectful person to everyone he came in contact with. But that couldn't explain why my heart never flipped when we kissed or why I only see him as a friend and nothing more.

The last couple of years I've dated only one other person. His name was Matthew, we met my final year at Syracuse and let's just say he liked to rotate through multiple women.

At the same time.

I can admit finding out he was a lying cheater sucked. I was just starting to put myself out there again and my worst fear came true.

Plastering a smile on my face once I get into eyes view of everyone in attendance so far, I spot a full body mirror and use this as an opportunity to double check my lipstick. The humidity of the room I almost kissed Elliot in caused a few stray curls that I had purposely left out of my top bun to fall flat and my cheeks were already too red for my taste.

I run a hand down the silk fabric of my gown while attempting to suck in my clearly visible pudge. The backless design and silver metallic chains holding the dress up by my shoulders does turn a few heads and suddenly I'm back into my eighteen year old body.

Insecurity begins to eat at my core and it's been a long time since I've felt that way. My hourglass figure wasn't the typical tiny waist and full bottom and chest. I had learned to live with the cellulite, stretch marks and love handles that graced every curve of my body.

My weekly therapy sessions had progressed to once a month and Dr. Paola was sure we'd be ready to part ways at the end of the year.

"Sage!" Stacey beams at me from afar. "Finally, God, I've been searching everywhere for you." Stacey walks with determination to where I stood and locks her arm around mine in order to drag me behind her. I let my gaze sweep over her gorgeous figure and the elegant dark green strapless column dress she's picked out when we went shopping earlier this week. With a floral silver pin, her jett black curls are pulled to one side of her face, accentuating her bold smokey eye makeup choice.

"I just needed a moment."I answer, following after her. I throw a welcoming smile at a few entering guests as we walk towards the main entrance.

She turns her head both ways before asking. "Have you seen Elliot? He was just here."