Chapter 12 - Beer Me

Start from the beginning

Sage smirks, her eyebrow raising harshly. "Matthew?"

"Alpha." I quickly correct myself. Damn, I need to be better at that.

Sage nods slowly, and I'm unsure what to say. So, for a few seconds we're in silence and I start to panic that she might be onto my growing feelings. She finally sighs deeply, wringing the back of her neck hesitantly.

"Alpha and I have been best friends since we were kids." Sage admits to me somewhat out of the blue. Her eyes lock on mine, "My brother was destined to be Beta, but Alpha and him agreed he wasn't born for the role. I was."

"I think it's really badass that you're the Beta." I smile at her, letting out a humorless chuckle. "In Sparta, we were segregated based on gender. There's no way my former pack would have allowed a Beta Female."

Sage takes a few steps towards me. There's nothing threatening about her stance. Her head is cocked to the side like she's trying her best to understand something. She stops just a few feet away from me.

"I just need you to know that I understand Alpha Matthew better than anyone." She explains. There's a sadness behind her voice that she's trying hard not to let get to her, but I can hear it ever so slightly. "I was there when he was rejected by his mate, by our Luna. So just...tread lightly. He's my best friend, Mia."

I just nod in understanding. This is exactly why I'm having to put distance between Matthew and me. I can't be having these crazy thoughts when clearly, it's not what Sage wants. Hell, I'm not even part of the pack. I need to get over myself.

"I really love it here, Sage." I tell her honestly, "I don't want to do anything that'll fuck up my life here."

She finally gives me a friendly smile. "I'm glad you like it. What are your plans tonight?"

I shrug, the question catching me off guard. "Curl up with some books."

"It's Friday night, Mia." Her eyebrows furrow together in distaste. "There's no way you're staying here."

I can't help but laugh. "You're kidding? Don't you have some Beta duties to accomplish instead of guilting me for staying home Friday night?"

Sage scowls me, her eyes rolling quite harshly. "Come on. You're young and hot. You're coming with me tonight."

She grabs my keys from the table, tossing them to me as she opens my door. I smoothly catch them, hesitation starting to dwell in the pit of my stomach. Sage doesn't even hesitate to start walking down the stairs.

"Come on girl," She calls after me. "We're going to go have some fun."

You know what, I think to myself. I deserve to have some fun.

My wolf agrees with me as I grab my tote-bag that I use as a purse and follow after Sage. As soon as we're outside, it's already dark but Sage knows exactly where she's going. Instead of heading towards the illuminated streets, she's headed towards the edge of the forest.

"Where are we going?" I ask, somewhat afraid somewhat eager.

"I'm taking you to the best pub in town. It's where we locals go." She says as she throws her shirt off over her head. I guess we'll have to get there as wolves or else it makes no sense whatsoever as to why she's just blatantly getting naked in front of me.

I don't even bother questioning her. I start throwing my shoes off, suddenly thankful that I brought my bag. Sage looks over her shoulder at me, holding her clothes up as if asking to put it in my bag. I let her toss it in before she runs into the forest, the sound of cracking bones quickly echoing for a split second.