JJ's heartbreak

JJ's POV

While Kiara and Pope are having their little moment and recovering after being attacked, I watch as Bianca collapses. It's like it happens in slow motion. I watch as her eyes flutter, rolling back in her head. A sure-fire sign that she's about to collapse. I try to run to her but it's almost like a dream, like I'm running through water. I watch as her arm goes limp beneath her and her entire weight goes crashing to the ground. My heart nearly shatters as I watch her head hit the ground with a force that gives me a headache, yet my body still cannot move fast enough to reach her before it happens.

I'm unaware of it, but I must yell out her name because by the time I'm on my knees beside her, Pope and Kiara have clicked to what's happening and are gathering around us. I immediately scoop up my girlfriends head, dragging her into my lap. I wipe away the tears on her cheeks and the blood dribbling from her nose and the cut in her lip.

"B? Wake up, B, please," I whisper after I check that she's still breathing.

Her chest is rising and falling softly but there's no movement other than that and she's out stone-cold. I shake her shoulders gently, afraid to hurt her further but more afraid of her not waking up.

"JJ, we gotta get her out of here," Kie whispers, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"yeah man, we don't really want to get caught for lighting the screen on fire mid-movie," Pope adds, "let's take her home."

"Seriously Pope? You're still thinking about your stupid scholarship while Bianca is out cold!"

"No man, it's just-"

"Nah, I get it," I say angrily, slipping one hand under Bianca's knees and the other beneath her shoulders and picking her up.

She's significantly heavier like this than she is when she's awake and alert. It's like the earth is still trying to drag her down, like her body is begging to subject to gravity. Her head lolls toward the ground and I feel a tear slip down my face at the sight. I carry her to Kie's car and climb into the backseat with her. I realise that her right arm is pouring out blood and we'd left a trail of it to the car. I rip off my t-shirt and wrap it as tight as I can around her arm, finding a large gash on the back of it.

"Can you take us to the hospital?" I ask Kie urgently, pulling Bianca's head onto my leg and letting her lay across the seats.

We pass Bianca's house on the way and I ask Kie to let me out to tell her family and take her in for me. I dive out of the car, giving Bianca a quick kiss on the forehead and making sure she's secure then watch Kie drive away with my girlfriend as a tear rolls down my face. I know Kie and Pope will make sure she gets to the hospital safely.

I let myself into Bianca's house and make my way up to Zac's bedroom. I knock a few times and wait for him.

"Hey bro, what's up?" he asks, answering the door in just his shorts, "why do you look such a mess, man?"

"It's B," I whisper, "she's going to the hospital."

"What?" Zac demands, pushing past me.

"Kiara and Pope are taking her. I jumped out on our way past to tell you guys," I say, following him through the house.

"What the hell did you do?"

"It was Rafe," I answer quietly, "she was trying to defend me."

I may not have been the one who hit her, but it's my faulty she's like this. It's my fault she won't wake up and it's my fault if she never does. I did this.

Zac and I stumble into the office where their mother is and she immediately clues in to her sons panic.

"What's happened?" she asks, standing and walking over to Zac.