CHAPTER TWENTY- THREE

Lexa's POV-

The red of Azgeda stained their pure white snow as the sun began to dim behind the mountain tops. Thousands piled the gentle earth.

"Heda? Are you alright?" I flinched at the touch to my back by Indra.

My eyes were wide as they frantically darted between my blades, Indra, the thousands of dead bodies, and my onlooking masses of warriors.

"What happened?" I asked, not remembering anything of this battle.

"We won; everyone is dead." She spoke softly, concerned for my memory.

"But, how? There were so many..."

"Yes, but you killed them, Heda. Roan and the men that were left retreated."

"I killed 43. That's what I remember."

Indra looked to some of the surrounding warriors, who wore the same concerned expression on their faces.

"Lexa..." She placed her hand on my shoulder once again.

"You killed hundreds."

I dropped my knives to the ground and let out a shaky gasp.

"We've never seen such a warrior in all of my battles. You were incredible." She continued.

"But... how? I could never have."

"After the first flood of Azgeda, you're 43, thousands more flooded the valley. You're eyes darkened and you looked almost instinctive. You must've killed 3 per second at the rate you were going. It was the act of a true warrior, the greatest skill I've seen." The army surrounding us began to nod their heads, and some even began to kneel, acknowledging my glory.

"My mind was elsewhere, I was unfocused. You're wrong." I spat, critical of the truth.

"Are you feeling alright?" Indra asked once again, but quieter.

"Yes, I am fine." How dare she question me.

"Oso ban op nau!!!" [We leave now!!!] I shouted for all my army to hear.

With power in my movement, I glided to my white horse and mounted it with ease.

"Dula op nou let events kom today haunt bilaik minds. let yumi dula op better." [Do not let the events of today haunt your minds. Let us do better.] I repeated to the masses of bloody men in my wake. I spoke to convince myself as well.

-----------

Clarke's POV-

I had said goodbye to my friends and family yesterday morning and was finally back in Polis. If everything had been going smoothly, as Lexa said it should, she should be back tomorrow night from the Northern territories.

I soaked myself in a deep warmth as the water of my tub surrounded my skin and suffocated the worry from my aching body.

All that was left was to pray for her safety.

------------------

Lexa's POV-

The sun rose over the forest closest to Polis, as we were only minutes from approaching the gates.

Blood still stained my hands and body, as I had not cleaned myself since departure.

I had only allowed my army to stop 8 times to rest during the entirety of the 6-day journey. Maybe I was selfish, or cruel, but I was also void of emotion, so could I really be so evil?