CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Needing to distract herself from the Commander's departure, Clarke sought to travel to Arkadia for a few days until Lexa was back in Polis.

She traveled down to the royal stables and was granted a large white horse. She had ridden long distances a few times but was always unsure of how to get onto her horse. After several minutes of trying, Clarke finally mounted her horse and set off on her 2-day journey.

--------------

Lexa's POV-

The air had gotten crisper the closer we neared towards Azgeda territory. The autumn leaves slowly got fewer and fewer as winter was almost invariable here. It sent not only a physical chill down my body, but a figurative one. It felt as if death was creeping nearer and nearer with every step.

Azgeda was known for their archery skills, so having bare trees came to an advantage for us, as they could not hide. Ice Nation stood no chance against our armies, 20,000 warriors strong. Azgeda at most had 6,000- large for a single clan.

Still, we trekked on for hours longer.

"Heda?" Indra spoke to me.

"Speak." I ordered.

"I have just gotten word that King Roan is uniting his armies to meet us around the Kaiser Mtn. line, roughly 190 miles away."

"Let them come, war is what they want, so war is what they'll get." I responded.

--------------

Clarke's POV-

I was finally entering through the gates of Arkadia. The day was overcast, but it didn't stop my enthusiasm from becoming evident when Bellamy, Raven, Octavia, and Harper appeared from the building.

"Clarke?!!" They shouted in unison. I collided with the 4 of them and held their embrace for as long as I could before they broke free.

"How have you been?" Harper asks me.

I sighed.

"Really good, what about you all?"

"Better if you were here, Princess." Bellamy responded.

I playfully slapped his shoulder.

"I can't stay here, you know that."

"So why are you here?" Octavia asks.

"I missed you guys!"

Clarke smiled as she looked to all her friends but couldn't help but feel a tinge of nervousness for wherever Lexa was right now.

"Come inside, let's get food!!" Raven sang and pulled Clarke inside.

--------------

Lexa's POV-

After 5 long days of travel, the scent of death drew closer and closer as we neared the mountain peaks. If Indra was correct, the warriors were lying in wait no farther than 1 mile from where we were.

I stepped down from my horse, letting a young man carry its reigns as we continued walking, now with our weapons at the ready. I walked with grace and with anger as one with each step towards bloodshed.

Finally clearing into the mountain crest, I felt the rhythm of Azgeda war drums first in my feet, then in my veins. Seconds later, warriors drenched in white paint flooded the valley, weapons swinging in the air.

"JUS DREIN JUS DOWND!!!!!" I yelled for all my army to hear. The phrase echoed back to me getting louder and louder as more and more warriors drew their weapons and began to run towards the enemy.