Chapter Seventy-Three

Start from the beginning

Looking over her shoulder, she didn't see him anymore. After another block, Cat slowed down. Making sure to move to the far side of the sidewalk, closer to the buildings, she started to blend in more with the crowd. She waited near a group of teenagers at the crosswalk, trying to look as if she belonged to them.

When it turned green, Cat followed the crowd. At the first alleyway, she slipped in, hiding in the shadows. Setting her backpack down on some empty crates, she unzipped her big, puffy jacket. After taking it off, shoulders hunched up from the cold, she flipped it inside out. It was reversible, black on its usual side, a cobalt blue on the other. Then, she took her beanie off, stuffing it into the pocket, and took out a smaller black knit one from her backpack and pulled it on, covering her ears.

This way, she looked different. Whoever that man was, he would be looking out for a black jacket and red beanied girl.

Carefully, she walked back out onto the sidewalk. She stared straight ahead, looking as unbothered as possible. Her pace was slow, the crowd so packed now that she really couldn't move so easily.

Stopping at another crosswalk, Cat took the time to look around. She didn't spot the man again. Slowly, her heart rate returned to normal. When she finally reached her neighborhood, the mass of people now almost completely thinned out, she sent a text to Griffin about what had happened. Before leaving for school this morning, he had made her promise to tell him immediately.

Her keys jingled as she walked up to their house, her eyes reading the last few texts Griffin had sent her. All just check-ins. It still felt a little weird that she had someone other than her sister who cared so much. Sure, there was Shadow, but she was more her sister's friend. And she was like her boss in a way, so it was a weird relationship.

The way Griffin cared for her was how she imagined a big brother would. The guy was so in love with his sister that Cat was sure that one day he would become her brother-in-law. The thought brought a little smile to her face.

When she turned the key in the lock, she paused. It turned way too easily. Like it was already unlocked. CeCe never left the door unlocked.

Cat sent one more quick text. SOS. Sent to Griffin.

Then, she opened the front door.

†††

Now that their job was done, CeCe was back to being bored. Growing up, she had always wondered what it was like to not have to work all the time. Her down time was spent somewhere on the clock. Even when she was at the club, she would pick up odd jobs on her days off or before she had to go in.

Even if she was forever grateful that Griffin had taken them in and given them a safe place, she kind of hated this place now. At least, when she was alone, she did. Having either Cat or Griff in the house with her made it much more bearable.

Honestly, she needed a hobby. Or a real job. But she knew Griffin would be uncomfortable with her being out of the house for so long.

CeCe stopped in her tracks right there, a banana peel in her hand, halfway to the kitchen to throw it away. Why in the world was she letting that hold her back? No way was she going to let anyone stop her from doing what she wanted. And he wasn't even asking her to. Not anymore, at least.

She was doing this to herself, keeping herself indoors and alone.

One thing she had kept from Griffin - probably the only thing - was that sometimes she had nightmares. Ones where she could still see that man staring down at her with his hands around her neck. She could still feel the heaviness of his hands, the way his fingertips and nails dug into her skin, her windpipes closing up underneath the pressure. It was the first time in her life that she thought she was going to die.