Chapter 47-The City of Aldin

Start from the beginning

     The presence of the Dragonriders within the cities serves several purposes.  First, and most importantly, vampire kind will never be able to underhandedly acquire control of human cities again.  The humans, for their part, have also learned a valuable lesson concerning their thirst for power and conquest over one another.  Since that fateful event, peace has remained between the former rival nations.

    Also, just the mere presence of the mighty, winged beasts instills a combination of senses in the public.  The creatures are awe inspiring and remind people that their protectors are to be both feared and respected.

     Dragons have never attacked humans, as they are their sworn protectors, but every once in a while, a band of vampires surface to wreak havoc and the humans are witness to the forceful suppression the dragons can inflict.  This also helps to ensure that tribute is always paid on time to Dragonkind.

     As the five descend upon the dragon outpost, thin, wispy clouds form from the north and a hazy halo becomes visible around every light in the moist air, including the moon that will soon be obscured in the advancing weather.

      The pixies blink out upon final approach, apparently not comfortable with the prospect of being seen by others.  Nick and Drake glide carefully into the small cliffside hangar with Finnigan in tow.

     As the quarters are designed to house only a few dragons, Nick and Drake find that the hangar ends abruptly at a small dragon keep and corridor sized for the human riders.  Half a dozen curious sets of glowing eyes peer out at the newcomers.

     The dragons telepathically inquire the identity of their unannounced brethren and his business here tonight.

     I am Drake and this is my rider, Nick.  We are delivering our captive, Finnigan, to your jurisdiction.

     With that, Drake places the bound prisoner upon the stone floor.

     A large, black dragon emerges from the keep and replies to Drake.

     I am Geldar.  My rider, Sebastian, is the constable of the Dragonriders of Aldin.  I have alerted him to your presence.  He and the other enforcers will be with you momentarily.

     The black dragon's piercing metallic golden eyes scrutinize Drake's shading.

     I have never seen a brother of your coloration before.  Where are you from?

     I was hatched of Boldever Mountain, same as we all were, Geldar.  I was among my mother's last brood, but I was hatched after her demise.  I never knew her.

     I remember you!  You were but a pup, then.  But your color – it has changed!

     You have a good memory, Geldar.  Indeed, much has changed since those days.

     I had only just taken this assignment when word of you and your Rider's banishment got out.  Wherever did you go?

     We have been living deep within this continent where no one ever ventures.  It was not until recent events that we realized that hiding away was not the answer.

     Footsteps sound and six Riders approach from the hallway.  They see the jade dragon; his rider and their captive and all look perplexed.

     At the head of the small group is a tall broad shouldered man with flowing black hair and green eyes.  He is first to speak.

     "My name is Sebastian, Constable of the Enforcers of Aldin.  Identify yourselves," Sebastian says with an air of authority and a keen look in his eyes.

     "My name is Nick.  This is Drake.  We are here to deliver this man, Finnigan, to you," replies Nick.

     "You are too young to be on official duty from either Talon Claw or Highland Den.  Why is your dragon green?" inquires Sebastian, totally ignoring the skinny old man at his feet.

     Nick starts to look flustered.  He does not know what the repercussions would be if he is discovered to be a vampire.  Dragons are more accepting of Drake's condition, but people fear and loathe Nick for what he is.

     Finally he replies, "Please sir, the prisoner is the danger here.  He possesses the ability to control birds and commands them to kill!"

     The other men behind the constable are murmuring.  Their voices are too low for Nick to make out what they are saying.  Nick is unaware of the recent crow attack on the queen.

     Sebastian half turns his head towards his men and raises a hand to silence them.  He looks back to Nick with new interest in his eyes.  Finally, he regards the old man at his feet who is scowling at everyone.

     "Attacking birds, you say?" asks Sebastian with arms folded across his chest.  "Tell me more."

     Nick is just about to answer when the dragons start bugling an alert.  All the men jump in alarm to the telepathic messages they are receiving.

     Outside the opening to the hangar, panicked shouts can be heard as well as breaking glass and the roar of fire consuming objects unknown.

     Everyone rushes to the mouth of the cave and stare down at the City of Aldin in disbelief at what can only be described as all hell breaking loose.