Chapter 14

Chapter 14- Recruiting The Gift

You were pacing around, plucking the strings on your Lute, the objects around you floating erratically

You were pacing around, plucking the strings on your Lute, the objects around you floating erratically. The airbender family and Korra were at the table, look at you with worry.

"Little One, please calm down. You'll only stress out more," Pema tried to sooth you, but you just shook your head, tail flicking.
"There shouldn't be any spirits giving humans gifts. That ended thousands of years ago, why now? Eraser guy shouldn't ever have that gift. Maybe it might be something else!" You rambled on.

"Little One, listen," Tenzin stood up and gently led you to the table.
"Whatever is happening, I assure you it is not your fault. You have the heart of gold and I know you'll never gift a monster the ability," He promised you.

"Yeah, and if it's not spirit, he sure doesn't know what's coming to him! We'll crush him to the ground!" Korra tried to cheer you up, and the three kids agreed. That only made you a little better, and you gave a smile.

"I'm not interrupting, am I?" The whole family turned to see a tall human, with blue clothing like Korra.
"This is my home, Tarrlok. We're about to eat dinner," Tenzin eyes the man suspiciously.

"Good, because I am absolutely famished. Airbenders never turn away a hungry guest, am I right?" Tarrlok smiled, sitting down.
"I suppose," Tenzin gave in and sat with his wife.

"Ah, you must be the famous Avatar Korra. It is truly an honor. I am Councilman Tarrlok, representative from the Northern Water Tribe," Tarrlok shook hands with Korra as he made himself comfortable.
"Nice to meet you," Korra smiled.

"Why do you have three ponytails? And how come you smell like a lady? You're weird," Ikki rambled out questions for the human, who looked at her with a tight smile.
"Well aren't you ... precocious?" That was all he said to her before turning to Korra.

All the while you were sitting behind Korra, getting a weird aura around Tarrlok.
"So, I've been reading all about your adventures in the papers. Infiltrating Amon's rally, now that took some real initiative,"

"Oh, thanks. I think you're the first authority figure in the city who's happy I'm here," Korra admitted.
"Republic City is much better off now that you've arrived," Tarrlok complimented, and you both accidentally made eye contact.

"And you... the spirit who appeared out of no where," He breathed out, so you cautiously scooted closer, slightly waving you hand.
"Greetings, Tar," You said, still plucking your Lute.

"Such beautiful marks on your face, and such vintage clothes... remarkable," He brushed a hand against your hair, making your tail puff up. Apparently everyone also didn't like that as the whole family, including Korra, was giving death stares at Tarrlok.

"Enough with the flattery, Tarrlok. What do you want?" Tenzin glaring at the man.
"Patience, Tenzin. I'm getting to that. As you may have heard, I am assembling a task force that will strike at the heart of the revolution and I want you to join me," Tarrlok cleared his throat and motioned to Korra.

"Really?" Korra said in surprise.
"What?!" Tenzin said in total shock. You were also a little concerned at to what the man was saying. You don't know why, but you have an urge to protect Korra.

"I need someone who will help me attack Amon directly, someone who is fearless in the face of danger. And that someone is you," Tarrlok pushed, where Korra looked at her glass.
"Join your task force? I can't," Korra rejected the offer, causing the two men look at her in shock.

"I must admit, I'm rather surprised. I thought you'd jump at the chance to help me lead the charge against Amon," Tarrlok admitted
"Me, too," Tenzin confessed, but was proud of Korra.

"I came to Republic City to finish my Avatar training with Tenzin. Right now, I just need to focus on that.
Tarrlok Which is why this opportunity is perfect. You would get on the job experience while performing your Avatar duty for the city,"

"Which is why this opportunity is perfect. You would get on the job experience while performing your Avatar duty for the city. And now with having a spirit on our side, we could easily stop Amon," Korra was all calm until he mentioned you, to which she also glared him down, but he didn't notice.

"Korra gave you her answer. It's time for you to go," Tenzin firmly stated, and you finally scooted away to where Pema and Tenzin were.
"Very well. But, I'm not giving up on you just yet. You'll be hearing from me soon. It has been a pleasure, Avatar Korra," Tarrlok stood up and walked away, but stopped to look at you.

"Same goes to you. If Amon was sent a gift from the spirits, we were sent with a better one," Pema covered your with her arm as he finally opened the door.
"Bye-bye, ponytail man!" Ikki said one last time to annoy the man, which worked.

"I didn't like the way he was looking at you," Jinora mumbled, turning her head to face you. You just shrugged and began to eat.
"He's a weird man, like not in a funny weird, not like annoying weird, you know?" Ikki commented.

"Yeah, we were about to kick his butt!" Meelo raised his fist.
"Tenzin, I think it's best for Little One to stay here for the mean time. Who knows if he'll do something to expose her to the public," Korra suggested, which had you surprised.

"Will that be okay, Little One?" He asked you, which you nodded and drank your cup.

"Whatever he'll do, he won't break Sifu Vatar,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello, fellow teammate!" Bolin greeted you, Korra, and Naga while you were playing a tune on your Lute, a ball floating because of it.
"Hey, Bolin," Korra waved.
"Missed you at practice this week," He playfully whined, Pabu on his shoulders.

"Yeah, sorry about that," She apologized.
"Nah, that's all right. We're probably out of the tournament anyways unless some money miraculously drops out of the sky by tomorrow. Anyways, the reason I came by was to give you this," Bolin gave Korra some sweets he had.

"Ta-da!" He beamed brightly.
"Wow, thanks. What's this for?" She wondered.
"Uh, oh I can't remember now. Oh yeah, now I remember. You saved me from Amon!" He scratched his neck shyly.

"Oh, that? It was no big deal," Korra shrugged as you stopped playing.
"No big deal, are you serious? I was totally freaking out when he was coming at me with his creepy mask all, "I will take away your bending forever." I mean that is... scary stuff; I still can't sleep well," Bolin dramatically said, not making Korra feel any better.

"Mhmm," She looked down. Then, Bolin turned his head and gasped slightly, eyes glowing with excitement.
"So Uhh... mind if I..." Bolin trailed off, slightly raising his hand to you.
"Of course, Boulder boy," You smiled, welcoming him.

"You are so adorable! So cute but so terrifying too! What kind of spirit are you? Is your lava hair dangerous? I love your Lute! Why did you hide who you were? Hey, you look just like The-" Bolin rambled on, being a fanboy.

"Bolin, you're scaring her," Korra raised her eyebrow and had a smile as Bolin was very close to your face, and you were so close in sending a rock pillar.
"S-sorry..." He sheepishly said, as Pabu landed next to you and rubbed his head against your leg.

"Delivery for Avatar Korra. Tarrlok sends his compliments and urges you to reconsider his offer.
"Tell him I haven't changed my mind,"

"Who's this Tarrlok guy? Is he bothering you? Huh, 'cause I could have a word with him," Bolin promised, cracking his knuckles.

'Why does that look and sound familiar?' You wondered, vividly seeing a blur of blue, with a blurry figure who was holding something, it's looked triangular.
"Heh, no it's not like that. He's just some old guy who works with Tenzin on the council," Korra got you out of your thoughts.

"Oh, good. Good, that sounds better. I like that better," Bolin nonchalantly said, making you giggle slightly. You could feel his heart beating through the ground, which intrigued you.

'Wonder if Sifu Vatar could feel it?'