Chapter 9

Chapter 9- Work Day And Night

"Anyway, I've been immersed in bending my entire life, but I never learned how to move like that! It's like there's a whole new style here! Think you could show me a few tricks?" You were reeled back to reality as Korra asked Bolin for training

"Ab-so-lutely!" Bolin nodded.
" Right now? Come on, Bolin," Mako huffed out and placed his helmet into his locker.
"Just ignore him," His brother whispered.

"Yeah, I could show you the basics. I'm just not sure how my earthbending would translate to your waterbending, but we'll figure it out," Bolin shrugged and placed his hands on his hips.
"Won't be a problem. I'm actually an earthbender," You looked at Korra, a mischievous grin was placed on your lips.

"I'm sorry, no, no! I didn't mean to assume. 'Cause I, you know, I was just figuring... with your Water Tribe getup... that you are... a Water Tribe... gal," He trailed off, not trying to offend Korra.
"Nope, you're right. I'm a waterbender. And a firebender," Korra amusingly said, crossing her arms.

"Mm. Mm-hmm. I'm very confused right now," Bolin pursed his lips and deflated a little.
"You're the Avatar, and I'm an idiot," Mako finally spoke up, lowering his head a little.
"Both are true," Korra snickered as you covered your mouth to prevent laughing.

"No... way," Bolin gasped with wide eyes, turning to his brother.
"The Avatar!" He whispered/yelled while pointing at her. You had the urge to snicker, but you needed to pretend so Tenzin wouldn't get upset.

"Now, let's start this training!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You all were at the training gym now, and you were sitting on a box, watching as Korra stood in Earthbending stance. She bended disks upward and shot them into a net, where Bolin clapped.

"That was great! Good power! But in a real match, you'd be a sitting turtle duck," He pointed out, and Korra raised an eyebrow.
"Not so upright and flatfooted! Stay light on your toes, right up until the moment when you need to dig in and strike," Bolin demonstrated and lifted the disks too.

"Then... pop, pop!" He moved on his toes and shot them into the net.
"Okay, let me try it again," Korra copied him and shot them into the net again.
'Very light movement,' You noted.

"Wow! Nice adjustment! You're a natural at this," Bolin cheered.
"Not bad," Mako leaned against the staircase.
"What's it take to impress this guy?" Korra huffed at the edgy boy.

"What? I said "not bad"," He shrugged, which you and Korra gave him a look.
"You know what, it's getting late. I think I'm gonna turn in. You kids have fun," He waved off and walked away.

"Nice to meet you, Avatar Korra. And you, little Tiger Monkey," He ruffled your head, which made you hiss and try to fix your hair.
"Yeah, been a real pleasure," The Avatar sarcastically said.

"See ya upstairs, bro," Mako said before turning the corner.
"Upstairs? You guys live here?" Korra asked Bolin, who shrugged.

"Yup. In the attic. It's nothin' fancy, but we have some great views!" He smiled and placed his hands on his hips. Your tail swayed as you tried to think on why he was familiar to you.

"So, back to bending. Why don't you throw that combo one more time?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next day, you winced at Korra getting destroyed by the spinning gates.
"Patience, Korra," Tenzin reminded her, but she kept getting hit. Suddenly, Korra let out an angry yell and less than a second, the gates were covered in flames and burned to a crisp.

Your eyes widened as you stopped rubbing your Lute, everyone in shock.
"That was a two-thousand-year-old historical treasure," You winced at the disbelief in his voice, taking a step away from him.

"What-... What is wrong with you?!" He shouted at her, in which she just huffed in anger.
"There's nothing wrong with m​e! I've been practicing just like you taught me, but it isn't sinking in, okay?! It hasn't clicked like you said it would!" She complained, making your ears drooped.

"Remember Ko Ko, it's not just expecting it to come naturally," You began, placing your Lute next to you.
"She's right Korra, this isn't something you can force. If you would only listen to me," Tenzin said, but Korra cut him off.

"I have been! But you know what I think? Maybe the problem isn't me! Maybe the reason I haven't learned airbending yet is because you're a terrible teacher!" She shouted and stomped away, making Tenzin growl in frustration.

"Yeah! You're a terrible teacher, Daddy!" Meelo copied and kicked the wooden pieces around. Jinora and Ikki comforted their father as you quietly joined in, laying your head against him.

"Thank you, you three,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let go! We can't miss it!" Korra pulled you up onto her shoulder as you both excitedly ran to the tournament building.
"You think I could run in these small legs?" You joked as she made it to the door.

"I didn't miss your match, did I? You guys look like you lost already," She asked the two brothers, looking upset.
"We might as well have," Bolin sighed.
"Hasook's a no-good no-show!" Mako angrily said as the referee opened the door.

"You got two minutes to come out ready to play, or you're disqualified," He explained and shut the door.
"Well, there goes our shot at the tournament, and the winnings," Mako groaned.

"Can't you ask one of those guys to fill in?" She pointed at the other players.
"Nah. The rules say you can only compete on one team," Bolin shook his head, in which you discreetly whispered something in Korra's ear.

"Well, then... how about me? I'm a top-notch waterbender, if I do say so myself," She piped in, giving you a wink.
"But, you're the Avatar. Isn't that cheating?" Bolin asked her.
"It isn't cheating if I only do waterbending," She grinned at them.

"No way. I'd rather forfeit than look like a fool out there," Mako immediately denied it.
"Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence," You gave a hiss at him for his words as the referee opened the door again.

"Time's up. You in or out?" He asked.
"We're in!" Korra shouted.
"We are?" Mako raised his eyebrow.
"Yes!" Bolin cheered, and you gave a happy chirp.

"Hey, I didn't agree to this!" He complained.
"You can thank me later," Korra quickly grabbed a helmet as you, her, and Bolin ran off.

"This girl is crazy,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sorry! Pardon, I need to get through," You apologized to people as you managed to sit down in the middle row, looking down at the round in front of you.

"And now, the moment you all been waiting for! The one, the only," You saw a hole on the ground open up, revealing the only reason you got interested in this particular Bender fighting.

You saw your friend take off her hood, giving it to someone, and raised her arms out, making people cheer. You cheered louder, making her smile at your voice and you felt your face heat up at her bowing in your direction.

"The Blind Bandit!!"