16: He'll ruin your life

In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful

It is God alone who extends abundant provision to whomever He wills. And He alone restricts it. Yet those who disbelieve exult in the life of this world, though the life of this world in comparison with the Hereafter is nothing but meager enjoyment (Q: 13 V: 26)

I woke up to feeling something pressed against my head, for a split scary second I thought I was being attacked and it was a gun pressed to my head., but a soft meow let me know it was just Stormy standing on my head. I let out a soft breath in relief that I wasn't about to be mugged, then raised my head up which made her leap off.

I sat up and switched on the bedside lamp, the digital clock on my bedside table read 3:15 am. A cool breeze blew in from the window and the sky rumbled with impending rain, muttering my duas, I got up from my bed and padded to the bathroom to pee.

Stormy wasn't on the bed when I came out, she was busy lapping up water from her bowl, she looked up when she heard me come in and regarded me with wide eyes for five seconds before darting under my bed.

I'm a bit thirsty myself, I thought and slipped my feet into my slippers and headed for my door, as I opened it Stormy ran past me and zoomed out. I chuckled, zoomies at 3 am?

The hallway was dimly lit from light coming from downstairs, which made me wonder if someone was awake. I rubbed my arms and was making my way downstairs when I stopped halfway. Zayd was sitting at the foot of the stairs wearing nothing but a pair of shorts, his phone was pressed to his ear. His entire posture was rigid and from where I stood I could see that he was tense.

Who could he be calling at this hour? I crossed my arms and listened, staying as quiet as possible so he wouldn't hear me.

"Why do you have my number? How did you get it?", he sounded annoyed at whoever he was speaking to.

"I thought I made myself clear the last time, I'm not interested in whatever bullshit you're involved in"

My brows creased as worry settled in the pits of my stomach, was someone bothering Zayd at school?

"And who said you could order me around asshole", he sprung up from his sitting position and brought his phone to his mouth, "I'm blocking this number, go to hell and don't contact me again", he spat and hung up.

"Dammit", he sighed and pressed a hand to his forehead. I uncrossed my arms and descended down the stairs, "what was that all about?"

Zayd gasped and turned at the sound of my voice, he released a breath when he saw me, "Zahra", he frowned at me, "you shouldn't eavesdrop on people's conversations"

"You weren't been discreet about it", I pointed out and raised my brows questioningly, "so what was that? From what I heard, it sounds like someone's trying to get you into something shady"

"It's nothing", he turned away and went towards the kitchen, "don't worry about it"

I frowned and followed him, "stop bullshitting, and don't tell me not to worry", I crossed my arms again, lightning flashed outside and the wind picked up it's pace, "what is going on with you Zayd?", I pressed, "you've been acting weird these days"

Zayd was silent as he opened the fridge and took a container of half eaten ice cream, he closed the fridge and turned around to face me, "I'm fine Zee, really", he said in a low voice and sat on a stool, placing the ice cream on the kitchen table, "I'm just getting some crap from some guys who don't like me"

"What do you mean?", I wanted to know, "what kind of crap? What guys?"

"Just a bunch of idiots trying to mess with me", he opened the container and scooped out some ice cream, he paused to swallow before continuing, "kinda like how Valentine and her friends bother you"