6: Hitman daddy

In the name of Allah the most gracious, the most merciful.

And as for those who strive in Our way, We will surely guide them to Our paths, verily Allah is with those who do right ( Q: 29 V: 69 )

Zayd and I stared at mom in surprise after hearing what she just said. She sighed and rolled her eyes, "I asked you to go to Melanie's place for the weekend, not travel to the sun, wipe that look off your faces"

"Why though?", I asked her.

"I have to go on a business trip with some coworkers", she explained, "it's for two days"

"We can take care of ourselves", Zayd argued.

"I know, but I'm more reassured if you're at Mel's place", she paused to take a sip of her black coffee, "besides you guys haven't seen Jim yet"

I smiled, good old Uncle Jimmy. He was Aunt Melanie's husband and Hannah and Brian's dad, not your typical uncle, he was the coolest, most playful, carefree adult I've ever seen. I didn't know his main line of work but I knew he ran a gym and fitness center.

"True, you're right", I agreed and got up from the sofa, "I'll go get ready". Zayd also stood up, grumbling something about how he had wanted to binge watch an anime.

*****

I watched in amusement as my uncle squeezed Zayd to his chest, "Zayd buddy! How have you been pal?"

"I-I've been good", Zayd stammered as he squirmed under his hold. I held in a laugh and Aunt Melanie came to his rescue, "sweetie let the poor boy go, you're suffocating him"

He laughed and released Zayd, thumping him on the back before grinning at me, before I could react he grabbed me by the waist and lifted me up in the air, "Zahra! How's my little munchkin huh?"

"Uncle Jim!", I shrieked and grabbed his shoulders to steady myself, "put me down", I implored and turned red, this was so embarrassing. Aunt Melanie sighed beside him and Zayd snickered, he laughed again and dropped me. I adjusted my skirt and stared at him, how could this man be always so cheerful? I've never seen him not smiling, what does his wife feed him? Cupcakes and rainbows?

"You can stay in Hannah's room", Aunt Melanie told me, Hannah was in college but she came home once in a while, I smiled at my aunt, "okay, thanks Aunt", I picked up Stormy who was sniffing around curiously and marched upstairs with Zayd. Brian was in the hallway leaning against the wall, his phone to his ear, "yeah sure..... No problem...... Okay babe...... Bye, I'll talk to you later"

He tucked his phone in his shorts and turned to us, I raised an eyebrow and I found myself wondering if he was talking to Valerie, then I shrugged it off. It was none of my business, "hey Brian", I greeted him and smiled back, he and Zayd did one of those guy greetings that I'll never understand.

"You guys staying for the weekend?"

"Yup", Zayd nodded.

He grinned, "lucky you, you get to join the party"

Zayd's brows furrowed together and I stared in confusion, "what party?"

"The party that's going down in five hours"

My eyes widened, "wait here?"

Brian nodded, "yup"

You're kidding me.

"Seriously? You just had to have a party on the day we're staying over", I scowled at him, "just great"

He laughed and came closer to scratch Tabitha's head, she closed her eyes and purred, "what? It'll be fun"