Chapter 4 - Going Rogue

Start from the beginning

"It's okay." I answer her quietly. Pushing down humiliation as she walks away with our friends.

Clara scrunches up her face like she's eating a sour candy. Leaning towards me she says, "We should go make face with the King. This is frowned upon. Why the fuck did Bren do this?"

"I don't want to go to the King." I say quietly.

"Mia—"

"No," I snap instantly. A burning sensation suddenly hitting the back of my throat. I force myself not to cry, letting my hair fall down to cover half my face. "I don't want to be with someone who doesn't want me, Clara."

"But Mia..." Her voice trails off. Taking a deep breath, she manages to say something I know she's been holding back for a few days. The unspoken rule as to why everyone feels sorry for me. "Alpha Bren needs you. You're an Alpha's mate. Without you, our pack will be weak. You know that. We all need you."

I decide not to reply. I have nothing to say to it. Alpha Bren clearly thinks that I'm not strong enough to lead a pack. Which means he truly believes that the pack is stronger without me instead of with me. If it wasn't humiliating already to be rejected, it's only worse knowing I was considered to be an inadequate Luna.

"We need to go protest to the King." Clara insists, "Bren is being stupid."

"Drop it, Clara." I growl at her. This seems to catch her off-guard. Her eyes widening and hands going in the air in surrender. Even my wolf has no energy to spend on trying to gain audience from the King over this. Bren wasn't wrong when he said the King is preoccupied with other matters.

We hear the chime of the bell. Turning our attention to the front of the pack. The higher members aligned at the front table where Alpha Bren holds the lead seat. His Beta stepping forth towards the microphone to go over any notes we all need.

It was the typical message we get every week. "Focus on your training" or "Don't forget that strength means victory" and other corny phrases. Finally, the microphone is handed to Bren.

My heart skips a beat seeing him. Even my wolf finally seems to show signs of life as the pull between us begins to tug again.

Bren looks down at the microphone, everyone waiting for the Alpha to speak. His eyes—briefly—meet mine. He looks away—almost embarrassed and ashamed it happened. I decide to look down from then on.

"As many of you know," Bren begins speaking. "I found my mate earlier this week."

Murmurs start spreading through our pack. A few eyes turning to me as if completely aware of who Bren is speaking about. The rumor mill must be turning crazy in the pack for everyone to already take the plunge. I can hear a few people whispering my name.

Without any faze whatsoever, Bren continues. "I believe that there is a stronger Luna that can lead our pack. Someone with the physical tenacity to charge into battle with us should we be needed. We are the strongest pack in the world, and someone weak cannot be leading us."

Bren puffs his chest slightly as pride seems to swell amongst him and the pack. Everyone nodding along with his words like they completely understand why I don't belong. I start sinking deeper into my bench, my chest feeling like it's about to capsize.

I never thought I was that weak. I might not be the strongest or biggest wolf, but if I was as weak as Bren is portraying me to be, then I would have been kicked out years ago. Weakness isn't tolerated here. I have my strengths, they're just not the extent they want it to be.

The eyes glancing at me feel intense. The pressure of everyone knowing suddenly weighing on my shoulders. I feel Clara reach for my hand under the table, giving me a reassuring squeeze.