twenty five

"Ze? Is that you?" Adrian asks, stepping out of the shadow, and approaching Dolly and me.

"Adrian, what are you doing here?" I ask awkwardly, knowing that I'm being hypocritical.

"I could ask you guys the same question." He crosses his arms over his chest and glares pointedly at us. 

"I'm taking money out of my account. Why else would I be at a bank?" I ask sarcastically. 

"Good point. Do you need some adult assistance, to help you?" Adrian inquires, creeping closer to us.

"No thank you, I think that we're good. Besides, you're not an adult yet," I say, dismissively, while Dolly stands behind me, making quiet kissing noises.

I send her an unhappy look, and she instantly gives me an apologetic face, dropping her hands to her side. 

"I see you've done your research on me, love. Well, I'll be 18 in February," Adrian explains briefly, smirking.

"You can feel free to leave now. We don't need your help, and we'll be on our way in a minute," I say, smiling sourly at the teenage boy.

"I think you're skipping school, Ze. And your brothers would be less than happy to hear that you're breaking rules. I might be able to speed up the process for them, and second Charlie and Chase your location," Adrian threatens, sweetly, as if he is talking about the weather. 

"Fine," I groan, "what do you want?"

"Your number, and a date," Adrian exclaims quickly, grinning slyly at me. 

"No!" I shout, outraged, turning back to the ATM machine, and continuing to press my pin code into the keypad. 

"That's okay," Adrian says, slowly pulling out his phone, and beginning to text someone. "I'm just messaging your brothers that you're skipping school."

"Fuck. Fine. Whatever. Give me your phone, I'll type my number in," I exclaim, giving up. 

Adrian smirks at me and passes me his phone, where I reluctantly type my number in.

"Good girl," he says when I give the device back to him. "I'll text you the details for the date later."

And with that, the mysterious boy walks away. I sigh in frustration, and turn back around to the ATM machine, drawing out 500 dollars for my card. 

"Sooo, you and Adrian," Dolly exclaims, changing the tone of her voice, so it's flirty. 

"Shut up. He's just a desperate teenager trying to get in my pants. My brothers won't let me near a boy, let alone on a date with one," I say rigidly, as we leave the bank. 

I look up at the security camera for a second, before keeping my eyes on the floor, trying not to seem suspicious. 

"Where are we going to go first?" Dolly squeals, as we head into a crowded street.

I have an estimated time of 2 hours before I start to get messages from my brothers, asking me where I am, and the mafia aspect doesn't really help my situation. 

"I heard that there are some thrift stores down the street. I think they're a couple of blocks away," I say, excitedly, pointing in the direction where I think the thrift stores are.

"I'm down, babe. I need some new Harry Styles merch," Dolly comments, smiling to the point where it looks painful. 

"What?! I love Taylor Swift," I say loudly, looking at her like I've just discovered her new identity. 

"No way! I thought that you wore her merch as a joke the other day," Dolly shouts, as we keep walking.

By now, people are looking at us in confusion, as we scream at each other about different singers. 

The first thrift shop we come across has a bold sign across the front and stands out to me.

"We're going in here," I say, walking into the shop without hearing a response from my friend.

It's like my dream store. Everything here is cheap and vintage. These clothes are nothing like my brothers would let me wear, especially since they're protective over me wearing a halter top. 

"Look at all this stuff, Dolly," I whisper, letting my hands skim through the soft material of clothes on the rack.

A store lady comes up to us, and asks, "Do you guys need any help?"

My friend and I look at each other. "No thank you."

Dolly is the first one to reply, and I nod my head, confirming her statement. 

We look around the massive room, and each selects a few clothing items, some of them scandalous.

Dolly pays for her clothes first, and I pay next, thanking the sales assistant, when she places my purchase in a bag. 

My friend and I shop at a couple of other stores, before the texts from my brothers begin.

It starts from Matteo, with a subtle 'how's school?' But I know that he's trying to figure out where I am, since he's probably been notified that I'm not at school. 

'I've been in the bathroom for a while... girly problem.' my response is brief, and I hope that he stops prying, since I mentioned a girl's problem. 

'You've been in the bathroom all day, Hazel? I know you're lying, and I'm not happy about it. I'll pick you up, where you are. I swear to God that if you move a muscle, I will know.'

Matteo's text is less than comforting, and when I show Dolly, she freezes, before wishing me goodbye and promptly leaving.

Traitor. 

I pace back and forth with my bags, waiting for Matteo's car to pull up. One does, and the door automatically opens. My oldest brother is in the back seat, and someone else drives the car.

"I see you've had quite the day, little girl," Matteo growls, clicking the seatbelt in for me, when I'm seated.

"I certainly have."

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 4800 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3