five

I'm settling into my new life quite well. After two days of living with my brothers, I held a small funeral for my mother- without the body of course, since it is back in Australia.

I was surprised when none of my brothers wanted to partake in the quiet event that I hosted in the backyard, but I shrugged it off, knowing that they have bigger things to worry about. 

As do I. 

Matteo told me yesterday that I would be starting school next week, and since then, I have been madly stressed. 

Currently, I pacing back and forth in my bedroom, waiting for Matteo to come and collect me. Yesterday, he also mentioned something about speaking to me today, because he is so busy.

I accepted his offer. So now, I wait at my bedroom door, taking a series of deep breaths to try and calm my rapidly beating heart. 

There is suddenly a soft knock on my door, and without thinking, I throw it open, coming face to face with a casual looking Levi. 

He's dressed in grey track pants, and a fitted white shirt. When he takes in my appearance, his eyebrows raise, and a small chuckle leaves his mouth. 

"Ze, why are you panting like a dog?"

I take one look at the vanity mirror to the side of me and sigh in frustration. I look mentally unhinged. My hair is positioned messily on top of my head and consists of many flyaways. The too-big clothes that I have borrowed from Chase are creased now since I have been wearing them for three quarters of a day. my chest heaves up and down, and I can almost see the froth coming out of my mouth.

"I'm good, just nervous. Do you need something Vi? Or are you just stopping by?" I ask quickly as my eyes dart around the room. 

"No, no. I was just coming to tell you that Matteo says he's ready for you in his office, and because you've probably never been there, it would be best if I walked you," Levi informs me, with a cheeky grin that brings his dimples out. 

"Ok, I think I'm ready. It's not a formal meeting though, is it?" I say, stepping out of the room. 

In response to the question I asked, my third oldest brother shakes his head, before starting on the path to what I assume is Matteo's office.

It's a quick walk, and within a minute we arrive. 

Levi looks at me for approval, and after receiving a nod, he presses his knuckles against the wooden door. He knocks once, he knocks twice, he knocks three times. 

After a couple of seconds of silence, we hear a response from the other end. 

"Come in."

Levi opens the door and allows me to walk in first before following shortly after, standing in the threshold. 

Matteo sits on a plush wheely chair, behind a large desk. He motions to me, and then to the seat in front of him, which is on the other side of the desk.

I comply with his request and start a death stare challenge with my oldest brother- not that he knows it. 

"Levi you may leave," Matteo orders with a cold voice. 

Without saying another word, Levi walks back out and shuts the door after him. Matteo then proceeds to look at me, as if he didn't just order his adult brother to leave the room.

"That was mean, Matty," I tell him, cocking my head to the side.

"Well then, I guess that it's a good thing I'm okay with being mean to our brothers," Matteo explains. "Anyway, I have brought you here to explain the rules we have here in this house. You are expected to follow all of them, as are the rest of the boys."

"Why do they have to follow them? Levi and Axel are adults," I ask curiously.

"Some of the rules, like bedtime, don't apply to them, but since they live under my roof, they are required to listen to me," Matteo explains.

"The first rule is that you must respect all of your brothers, and in return, they will respect you.

The second rule is that on weekdays, you have to be in bed by eleven pm, but on weekends you can go to bed whenever you want, as long as you're getting enough sleep.

I have checked your grades from back in Australia, and your grades look fine, but I do expect you to get good grades. If you ever need any help don't fear scared to ask one of us. Preferably if we have graduated. I'm not sure that I'd trust Charlie with any maths homework.

The next rule works around lying. Please do not lie. Everything we do is to protect you, but if you lie about things, your brothers and I will be unable to help you.

Rule five is that you're not allowed to be around boys. Not as friends, not as partners in school, and certainly not in a relationship. If you are into girls, then you are also not allowed to be in a relationship with them, but being friends with females is fine. 

I think that those are all the rules. If you disagree with any of them please tell me, otherwise, you can forever hold your peace."

"Why can't I be around boys? I have five brothers for crying out loud!" I exclaim loudly to Matteo, slamming my hands down on his desk. 

"I completely understand where you are coming from, but fifteen and sixteen year old boys are hormonal, unpredictable, and plain stupid. I don't want you anywhere near them."

"Fine. Fine. FINE. Ok, fine," I repeat to convince myself rather than my brother. 

"If that's all you have to say, then you are free to leave, Hazel. Don't forget that we're having a family dinner tonight." Matteo reminds me. " Also don't forget that I love you."

He gestures for me to come over to him, and I obey his request. My brother kisses the top of my head gently, smoothing out my messy hair. 

"And please brush your hair for dinner," Matteo says with sarcastic distaste. At least I thought it was sarcastic.

"Eye eye, Captain." I mockingly salute him, sprinting out of his office, and back to my bedroom.

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for nearly 250 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3