forteen

My first class is quiet, and I sit at the back of the class. Lots of the students look back at me from their seats with curiosity, but I pay them no mind. I'm here to learn. That's it. 

I still have to find Dolly and want to know more about the mystery boy. My wall.

Science is a subject that I'll never pursue. I suck at it. I can't measure out a cup. I'm scared of fire, I do not know about evolution, and I don't understand how the human mind works. Sue me.   

I watch the clock tick by, from the front of the classroom, and wait as the seconds disappear. Finally, the bell goes, signifying the end of the class. My next class is English, which I have with Dolly, and used to be taught by Fletcher- Mr. Halligan. 

I rush into the classroom, hoping to give Dolly the explanation she deserves before the class starts. Surprisingly, she's already sitting down, in the same place we occupied yesterday. My mouth opens in shock, but I quickly close it and rush towards my friend.

"I'm so sorry I never came back, yesterday. I had to go home," I explain, breathlessly, as I hesitantly place my bags down next to hers. 

"Oh no, it's fine, don't sweat it. I was a little worried, but quickly realized that you'd be fine," Dolly says calmly, moving her chair over, so there's enough room for me. 

"Wait, so you're not mad at me?" I ask, skeptically. 

"No, not at all. Why would I be?" Dolly exclaims as if my words are disgusting to mankind. 

"Oh, okay," I speak, feeling relief flood through my veins. 

"Anyway, I heard from Alyssa, who heard from Thomas, who heard from Michael, who heard from Vanessa, who heard from the Bolivi brothers, that Mr. Halligan was fired," Dolly recites.

My eyes widen, comically, as I stare at my friend.

"Wow, that was a lot of names." I crack a small smile.

"Yeah, I know. I wonder who our new teacher will be," Dolly says, placing her hand on her chin, thinking.

We don't have to wait any longer, because the classroom door opens, and the teacher walks in. Firstly, I look at his neat dress shoes, then his black, ironed work pants, which are in pristine condition. He has a white dickey on, which is rolled up to his elbows and has the first few buttons undone.

When my eyes reach the new teacher's face, I gasp in surprise and frustration.

My third oldest brother, Levi stands at the front of the class, sending a reassuring smile in my direction,  but I'm not falling for his games.

In return, I shoot him a dangerous glare, to which he playfully rolls his eyes. 

I didn't even know that he had a teaching license, or that he went to university. 

"Good morning class, my name is Levi, but I request that you call me Mr. Bolivi," my brother says, smiling down at everyone. 

At the sound of his last name, all the girls seem to swoon, moving closer to him, in their chairs. I look over at Dolly who is next to me, and she's practically drooling while leaning forward in her seat.

What is wrong with these people?

The lesson drawls by, and I spend most of the time with my head on the desk, pretending to be asleep, so I don't have to witness my older brother teaching an English class. My English class. 

I'm about to fall asleep when the bell goes, and everyone gets their bags and leave, except Dolly, who waits beside me. 

But after taking a quick, sneaky look at Levi, I mutter to her that she can go to lunch, and I'll meet her in a minute.

She complies, and I keep my head on the table. 

I hear my older brother's footsteps near my desk, and his manly hand plays with my hair, as I rest. 

"You didn't seem to be listening to my teachings, Ze," Levi says gently, squatting down beside my desk. 

"Mmm," I mumble, absentmindedly, closing my eyes. 

"I'll help you with it at home if you want, but I won't let you sleep in my class. Am I clear?" My brother says, strictly. 

"So clear," I mutter, flying from the room before he has the chance to ask me why I'm tired. 

I follow other students as they make their way to the cafeteria. Dolly must be in here, at a table. My brothers must be here, as well. 

I walk in and examine the room. The largest table is in the middle of the cafeteria. Girls and boys sit there, and I'm not surprised to see the twins smiling like idiots, as they have girls sitting on their laps. I notice other people here, who I've seen around school. 

Mystery boy is at my brothers' table, and I try not to scoff at his bad choice of friends. 

Dolly sits up in the back corner of the room with one other person. The other person is in the dark, so I can't see him, but as I get closer to the table, I observe that it's a boy. 

They engage in quiet conversation until the boy sees me. He nudges Dolly, and she quickly embraces me.

"Noah, meet Hazel. Hazel, meet Noah," Dolly says, enthusiastically, sending us both toothy smiles. 

"Hi," I exclaim quietly, while Noah only nods.

I sit down next to my friend, and an awkward silence quickly takes over. 

"So.... do you guys like ice cream?"

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for over 1400 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3