twenty one

Oh, hell no. This scenario is out of a cheesy high school romance book, where the girl slowly falls in love with the brother's best friend.

But not me. 

I look at the boy incredulously as if he has made a hilarious joke, before sprinting down the corridor, trying to put as much distance between us, as I can.

"My name's Adrian, by the way, darling. I just thought you should know, so you know who the name you'll be writing about, in your diary tonight." I hear his voice holler from in the distance. 

I roll my eyes, as a shiver runs down my spine. Why do I feel an odd sense of attraction to him? I only just found out his name and discovered that he's my brothers' best friend. This is wrong, so wrong.

The bell rings, and I'm late for my class, which just happens to be taught by Levi. I run to my locker, and skid to a stop, when I'm in front of it. 

I grab the books I need, before rushing to my English class. By the time I get to the door, I'm panting like a dog. Slowly, I open the door, and shut my eyes tightly, already predicting the disapproving look that Levi is going to give me.

"You're late, Hazel." I hear his voice say.

"I know. I'm sorry, it won't happen again, I promise," I confess, apologetically. 

"You're right, it won't. I'm giving you a detention. I'm expecting to see you here tonight, straight after school," Levi strictly proposes. 

Most of the class makes 'ohhhhhing' sounds, as I put my head down in embarrassment, and scurry towards my seat at the back of the class, where Dolly is already waiting, looking at me with pitying eyes.

"Settle down, class, settle down," Levi insists, making stupid hand gestures. "Where were we?"

My brother starts to ramble on about what we'll be doing today in class, and I can't help but zone out from his talk. I know that he asked me to try extra hard and listen to him in school, but I just can't feel bothered.

Levi comes around the class, and hands each of us a worksheet, and when he stops at me, I stare blankly at him, indicating that I have no idea what to do.

He nods his head in understanding and whispers to me that he'll be back to help me in a second.

Once Levi has finished handing out a worksheet to every student, he approaches me, and squats down next to my desk, so he can support me.

"What bit do you need help with, Ze? Or did you not listen to any of it?" He asks, quietly, glancing at my empty paper.

"I didn't listen," I mumble softly, feeling too embarrassed to look at my brother.

He hums lightly, before tapping his pen against the first question. Levi reads it out to me and goes through what it means, carefully, constantly analyzing my facial features, to make sure that I completely understand. 

Eventually, the bell goes, to signify the end of the lesson, and Levi looks at me.

"We'll work on this in your detention, okay? I really want you to understand the concept," my brother says softly, patting my hand, lightly, before getting back up.

"Class is dismissed. I'll see you all tomorrow," Levi exclaims loudly, going to the front of the class, and leaning against his desk.

I pack up all of my equipment and exchange a sour look with Dolly, who merely shrugs her shoulders, and walks out of the room.

I'm the last one in the classroom and look at Levi.

"I'll see you after school," he says bluntly, and I only nod, still feeling mad at him, since he gave me a detention, for being a couple of minutes late. 

My eyes are narrowed for the entire trip to my next classroom, trying my hardest to avoid Adrian, who seems to be everywhere I am. 

Especially my wall. 

-

Soon, it's lunchtime, and I barrel into the cafeteria as if I haven't eaten in weeks. I'm one of the first people in the food line, but a person pushes in next to me.

Why am I not surprised that it's Adrian?

He puts his tray next to me, as we collect more food. I can feel his sharp gaze, but I refuse to meet his eyes. 

"Do you want something?" I snap, finally looking at him, when he's glanced at me for too long. 

"I was just looking at a beautiful art piece," Adrian exclaims, airily, still refusing to look away.

"Feel free to thank my parents for that," I sarcastically mutter, turning away from the so-called lovesick boy. 

"I would, but I know that they're not present in your life right now."

I hum in approval, at his knowledge about my situation, but can't help the sad feeling that appears in my stomach. 

I miss my mum. 

Adrian must notice my change because he instantly tries to comfort me. 

"I'm sorry, Ze. I didn't even think," he gushes, trying to apologize. "I know that it's still fresh in your mind."

I quickly excuse myself from Adrian, and go to Dolly's table, where her and Noah are the only ones occupying the space.

"Hey guys," I say, quietly, placing my food tray on the platform, and sliding in next to Dolly.

They greet me back, politely, with small 'hello's' and 'how are you's' before restarting their conversation, while all I can do, is stare in the distance, to where Adrian and I talked a couple of minutes ago. 

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for over 2800 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3