Chapter Twenty One

The end of the day came sooner than either parent wanted. They knew it was what was agreed to but having Hades there at that moment, having him spend time with his newborn daughter...Persephone never wanted this moment to end.

But end it had to. And unfortunately she didn't even have the 'pregnant woman/Goddess' card to use to try to give Hades more time.

"I'll be okay," Hades said, gently kissing the top of Persephone's head as Zeus and Poseidon stood in the doorway, presumably to escort their brother back to the portal but Persephone wasn't entirely sure. "I'll see the two of you soon enough."

"I wish you could stay," Persephone whispered.

"I do too," Hades sighed. "But it's not worth making life difficult for you or Malinoë while you're here in Auradon and Olympus. I want to stay by your side but what if doing so means that Zeus would shut the portal completely? Or worse make it so you couldn't come to the Isle at all? You know how petty he can be."

Persephone chuckled softly at that. She did know how petty Zeus could be, everyone knew how petty he could be. That didn't change the fact that she wished Hades could stay there with her. At least they could make it longer than one day so that he could have a chance to bond with his daughter.

"Hey, it'll be okay," Hades said, as if knowing what his wife was thinking. "You know if I don't go back to the Underworld, who knows what it'll be like when I do return."

"James wouldn't let the kids burn down the Underworld."

"I'm referring to Pain and Panic."

Persephone chuckled once more and Hades gently kissed her and Malinoë on the head one last time before making his way out of the room.

"Hades..." Zeus said, his voice soft as Hades entered the hallway.

"It...it'll be okay," Poseidon tried to comfort his older brother but Hades just met both of them with a glare.

"In case it escaped either one of you, I am not in the mood to entertain your words right now," Hades said, keeping his voice down as to not startle his baby girl in the other room. "As...grateful as I am for this time, there shouldn't have even been a time limit. The next time I'll get to see my daughter, I'll be a stranger to her."

"Hades—."

"No Zeus," Hades said, cutting off whatever his younger brother was going to say with a glare and a stern finger in his direction. "I get it. It's your chance to enact your revenge against me for the whole coup and taking Hercules. Cute. Am I supposed to feel beholden to you for providing me something I should have had the chance to have in the first place? I get it, I made you miss out on your child's life. So now you make me miss months of my child's life. Never mind the fact that I'm already stuck on an Island prison and can only see my wife for six months out of the year, this is just the icing on the cake for you isn't it? Hades finally getting his sweet karma. I hope you enjoy it because let me tell you...you'll be the only one."

"Hades..." Poseidon said, his voice a near whisper but Hades just shook his head.

"Now, if you'll both excuse me, I'm going back to my hell on Earth known as the Isle for the remainder of my six months missing my wife and child while you two wonder why I don't want to talk to you. Poseidon, the only reason why I'm not jumping down your throat like I am our little brother is because I know your family's going through a lot right now and you don't need me adding to it."

"...Appreciated Hades," Poseidon said softly.

Hades sighed. "Elle's life thread is strong, I checked on it before I left to come here. Tell Ariel, don't tell Ariel. It's up to you. I thought you should know because...well even though the Isle has somewhat decent food, you supplement our food with your fish friends and it's not unnoticed brother."