Chapter 43

Zoey's POV

I wake up in my bed to Poppy shaking my arm.

"I'm about to call Desmond, will you sit with me?" She asks.

My eyes open up to darkness, "what time is it Poppy?" I ask, not believing she'd wake me up in the middle of the night for a breakup.

"It's four." She states.

In the morning?

I shake the thought from my head; my friend needs me.

With a yawn, I sit up and scoot over to give her space on my bed that she crawls into with her phone in her hand.

Usually if there is no sun, there is no me. But I love her so I have to push the sleep away and be here for her like she would be for me.

She pulls up his contact, her thumb wavering over the call button.

"Wait, is he not asleep right now?" I ask as thoughts other than being tired enter my mind.

She smiles, "he probably is. But I can't function." She lowers her head.

"What do you mean?" I ask, sitting up straighter.

"Knowing I have to breakup with him...it's all I can think about. I can't do anything but be stuck in my head like I have been for hours."

I nod. I don't understand how she feels, but I can sympathize.

"How about," I yawn, "we go downstairs and get you something to eat and watch your favorite movie." I suggest.

It's not that I don't want her to breakup with him, it's just that it's so early and if I can barely comprehend anything, a poor guy suddenly being woken up by his girlfriend breaking up with him won't make any sense.

"Wizard Of Oz?" Tears coat her eyes with a hopeful smile.

"Of course!" I giggle, matching her smile.

Walking around the house at night is a lot more eerie, it looks haunted.

Poppy and I round a corner to pass the kitchen. The lights are on in there along with quiet clanking of dishes. When I look at Poppy she mouths 'Wyatt'.

That reminds me. I need to ask him what I can do to improve sex. I need to ask why he didn't like it because all I want to do is make them happy.

"I'll meet you in there." I tell her.

The dishes stop clinking as soon as I speak.

When I walk in, Wyatt is already leaning against the counter looking at me with a smile.

"Morning, doll. Why're you up so early?" He asks while opening his arms for a hug.

I bet you're warm.

Instead of hugging him, I cross my arms and sit at the table. He looks taken aback as he sits down in front of me.

"What was wrong?" I ask.

He looks around the room, "you're going to have to be specific, doll. What are you talking about?"

I roll my eyes, earning a cocked eyebrow from him.

"You obviously didn't like what we did. So, what did I do wrong?"

He chuckles as he grabs my hand. The band-aide is slipped off my finger, revealing a small red cut.