Chapter 16

Jett's POV

Nik came home frantically that afternoon. Talking about how my little brother has found us. Apparently he saw one of his men on the sidewalk across the street from the studio.

If my little brother is here, that only means that terrible shit is about to go down and that girl, Brexley, is a homicide victim.

My little brother is ruthless. He learned it from me. I beat myself up for decades, knowing I'm the reason why he is the way he is. I changed him, taught him how to feed, how to kill, how to survive being something like us.

Back then I was an idiot. My brother and I were inseparable, I basically helped raise him since my parents were so poor. I didn't want to live for forever without him, so I made the stupid mistake of giving him this curse.

Nik explained to Wyatt and I how we need to keep Zoey safe because if Jack knows about her, she will be his biggest target.

Damn prick, always wanting what I had.

Ever since I changed him, he's done everything in his power to be just like me. At first I thought it was cute that my little brother wanted to be like me. I've changed though, I'm no longer this evil man who kills just to kill and is controlled by blood lust.

Today is a new day though, and my day to take Zoey on a little date.

I couldn't help myself yesterday, I just had to steal that kiss from her. She looked stunning, too stunning to be as anxious as she always is.

"I'm ready!" She beams from behind me, excited for the day.

Holy shit. I think to myself after turning around, seeing her cute little outfit that I laid out just for her.

A brown crop top with with shorts and white shoes. Perfect for going to the zoo.

"Look at my adorable little zoologist." I can't help but coo.

All you need is one of those tan safari hats and she'll be as cute as a button.

"I've never seen you in shorts before." She giggles, pointing at my black shorts.

"I still get hot and sweaty, baby." I say as I pull her in to me.

Her little arms wrap around me instinctively. Her warm little body against mine just fits.

I walk her to the kitchen, reaching over the counter to hand her a muffin.

"Eat on the way, it's about a two hour drive."

She eyeballs the muffin with her mouth obviously salivating.

As we get into the car, starting the drive, she digs in. I will never be able to wrap my head around how sometimes, she will not be shy while eating then other times, she doesn't want anyone to even glance at her.

Usually mouth noises gross me out, all that wet munching. But the little smacking as she eats is nothing but cute to me.

I can already tell it's going to be a hot day. The sun is bright, almost blinding. She won't melt on my watch though. I'm going to get her some ice cream while we walk around the zoo to keep her cooled off.

Once she finishes her muffin, I rest my hand on her thigh, needing to feel her silky skin under my fingers.

I hear her heart accelerate, giving me a strong feeling of dominance.

You like that, baby?

Her cute little dimples show as she smiles at me. I'd kill to see that smile on the daily. One day I might have to, who knows.