Prologue

The year is 2552.
Humanity is at war with an alien alliance known as
"The Covenant".

We are losing.

The Covenant have burned our worlds,
Killing billions in their
Genocidal campaign.

Earth is our last bastion-
A carefully guarded secret.

But not anymore.

A Covenant cruiser has breached
Earth's defenses and attacked
The African mega-city, "New Mombasa".

Initial reports confirm major damage
And heavy civilian casualties.

Now, military leaders of the
"United Nations Space Command"
Have prepared their response...

Teams of highly-trained
"Orbital Drop Shock Troopers"
Are ready to assault the carrier
From navy ships in low orbit.

This is a near-suicidal mission.

But these troopers are
The best of the best.

And saving New Mombasa could be
The most important mission
Of the war...

For one certain trooper...
It will be his last drop as an "ODST"....

— — — —

October 20, 2552

UNSC Marathon-Class Heavy Cruiser Atlas, Earth's Low Orbit,
above New Mombasa, Africa

15:57 Local Time

"You're telling me that we're dropping into that?" Staff Sergeant Brown asked, looking at the holographic projection of the Covenant supercarrier hovering over the African city of New Mombasa down below.

Five ODSTs are gathered around a holo-table, accessing the battlefield that's encompassing the city. A sixth Helljumper, Corporal Garett Smith, lies in his pod, taking the time before the mission to take a quick nap. This will be his ninth mission with Juliet Nine, the squad he is now permanently assigned to.

"Yes, Command deduced that a high ranking Covenant leader, the Prophet of Regret, is on board that supercarrier." Lieutenant Chen replied. "Our mission is to board the supercarrier, via SOEIV drop pod insertions, and capture the Prophet. From there, we'll get answers out of him about what the Covenant wants with Earth."

"So far, the navy's putting up a good fight." The staff sergeant commented.

"Of course it is, it's Earth." Sergeant Gage said, as he studied the map. "Why wouldn't we?"

"This'll be the first time I ever witnessed drop pod insertions on a Covie ship," Corporal Njoki remarked, looking away from the map, "more like a supercarrier, for that matter."

"We tried this numerous times before," The Lieutenant said, "but none of them are as potentially impactful as this one, and they mostly failed."

"Sir," Private Harrison asked, "isn't an ONI agent assigned to this mission?"

With that, Garett woke up and spoke. "Of course a Spook is here. Anything like a prophet sparks ONI's interest."

"Participating in the briefing now are we, Frost?" Sergeant Gage snorted, as he placed a silencer on his M7S caseless submachine gun.

"When it interests me." Garett replied. He earned the nickname 'Frost' because of his life on the cold part of the supercontinent of Eposz, back on the United Earth Government colony planet of Reach. It's a shame that the Covenant glassed the planet a few months ago. Luckily for Frost, he was not there because he was temporarily assigned to another squad on a different mission. He didn't want to go back to watch his planet die.

Shortly after, the klaxons went off and the lights above the pods kicked on. Lieutenant Chen ordered, "Everyone, grab your weapons and get to your pods! Pronto!"

Scrambling for their weapons and gear before grabbing them, the Helljumpers dashed to their respective pods. Frost returned to his, placing a silenced M7S in the weapons compartment before holstering his M6C/SOCOM silenced magnum to his thigh.

"You're gonna shoot yourself, Corporal, if you thigh holstered your sidearm." Sergeant Gage said, as he entered the pod next to Frost's.

"Don't mind me," Frost said, with a sly smile, "I'm just trying something new, Sarge. Might get myself shot, but who knows."

As the pod's hatch closes on him, the hatch under him opens up as his pod gets twisted to the left. The center right screen turned on, showing Lieutenant Chen. The Lieutenant announced.

"Troopers, we are green. Good to drop, standby!"

With that, the drops were launched one by one. Rapidly descending below, passing by the wrecks of UNSC and Covenant ships as both sides hammer each other, the pods are closing in on the Covenant supercarrier hovering over New Mombasa. Drop pods from the other Helljumpers joined in, as well.

"Sir, Alpha Nine's breaking off from the formation!" Sergeant Gage informed the squad over the communications channel.

"What? Why?" Private Harrison asked.

"It's probably because of that Spook." Frost remarked. "They're taking Alpha Nine to assist them on a mission that fits whatever secret agenda ONI has going."

As the Helljumpers approached, the Covenant supercarrier started shimmering.

"Radiation detected. They're preparing to enter slip space!" Corporal Njoki said.

"Over the city?" Frost asked.

"It doesn't change the objective." Lieutenant Chen declared. "We're still taking that prophet."

Squinting his eyes, Frost knew he thought he saw something a split second earlier. He yelled, "Sir, the UNSC In Amber Clad is approaching the supercarrier!"

Just like that, the supercarrier opened up a slip space portal. All the pods started malfunctioning here and there.

Over the barely functioning comms channel, Private Harrison frankly yelled, "I don't wanna die up here!"

"You won't die up here, Private." Frost interjected. "Just manually-"

Frost cuts himself short, as he fearfully watches one of Alpha Nine's pods slam another into his direction. Bracing for impact, Frost accidentally bumped his arm against his magnum. This caused the safety to flick off and the magnum fired prematurely, striking Frost's right knee. The Helljumper howled in pain as the approaching drop pod struck his pod, with the impact knocking him unconscious.

Those will be his final moments in the universe he's in. Now, unknowingly to him, he managed to enter the slipspace jump but he's the only member of his squad to survive the trip down fully. What he'll land onto is a planet full of new threats, and a shattered moon. Thus began the story of the Helljumper on Remnant.