chapter 7

Alhamdulillah. Do vote and comment!

_____

The alarm beeped, indicating that it was time for tahajjud. I am too tired to get out of bed but remembering my lord, I get up.

Performing wudu and I prayed tahajjud.

When I sit on the mat waiting for the fajr adhan to be called, the seriousness of the situation struck me.

Marriage is the phase that will change your life for sure. Whether it is a good change or a bad one. And now I am asked by a sister to marry her divorced brother.

I don't have a problem marrying a divorced man. It is Sunnah to do so. Even, the prophet Muhammed (saw) married divorced women. The purest one!

But, as it is a big decision, there are many things to do beforehand. I should tell my parents. They have to do a background search on their family. About this Ibrahim.

Ihsan did tell me that her brother is a practicing Muslim but to what extent? I mean, just praying the five obligatory prayers doesn't make you a good Muslim.

Strangely, I want to be the mother of that innocent child, Ali. Marriage isn't only the bonding between two people but also between two families. We need to know about each other, both the spouses and the families.

The picture of myself with Ali and a man without a face keeps flashing before me. Why? Maybe I want to marry this man and be a part of their journey? Being a single dad is not an easy task. It is tough even for a mother then what about a single dad?

I like Ihsan. I like Ali too. No, I love Ali, he is so cute. Masha Allah.

I am a little scared to tell ummi about this. I don't have an idea of her reaction. Aunt Zubaida is her friend too.

Cupping my hands I raised them in front of my lord. "Ya Allah, you are the merciful. The eternal. The all-knowing. The everlasting. Help me ya Rabb. I don't know what to do or to say. You know what's best for me. Guide me through this, Allah. Ameen."

After praying fajr, I recited the Quran and then took a nap.

---

I woke up a little earlier than usual. So I decided to make a nice breakfast because I love cooking. I made waffles and banana cake. Well, banana cake is a Malayali food, not your basic cake with flour.

We cut bananas into small pieces and then fry them in the oil. Then set it aside, take a few eggs, beat them with a fork then add sugar. Take a pan, and put in some ghee or butter. Put the fried bananas in the beaten eggs and pour them into the pan. Wait till it turns out like a cake. Yup, that's it. It tastes heavenly.

Okay, enough with the recipes. I still haven't decided if I should tell my parents or not. But eventually, I have to tell them right? Okay, I am gonna do this.

When I see the connecting sign, I panic. Man, how am I supposed to tell them? That I got a proposal for marriage to a divorced man? "Assalam Alaikum," Ummi said with something in her tone. Oh! Darn, I haven't replied to her message last night!

"Wa Alaikum Assalam." I greet her with a sheepish smile. "Where is baba?" I asked as I noticed dad was not there along with her.

"Oh, he is here itself." She turned her camera to show dad sitting on the other chair beside her. After, exchanging a little more talk, it's time for me to tell them. I should say before ummi brings Saleem up.

I clear my throat, "You guys remember Ihsan, right?" I start with a question. She gave me a yes gesture so I continue, "she...Uhm...asked me if I could marry her brother..." I watch their expression closely. Baba furrowed his brows and ummi narrowed her eyes. And I take deep breaths.

"She asked you why?" Ummi asked. Mother!

"Because she liked me. And want me as her sister-in-law."

"Well, isn't that a good thing?" My father questioned. It is but I don't know if it will be good after you hear me finish.

"Uhm...he- he is divorced...."

I was stopped by my mother's "what??"

I look at her and blink then finish my sentence, ".....and has a one-year-old baby boy."

Wait, did I say that? Ya Allah! I did it! Now it's time for me to hear my parents' thoughts.

"Wait, wait. Ihsan has a brother. He is divorced and has a son. And she asked you to marry him?" My mother's voice was filled with mocking. She can not do that!

"Yes, she did."

My father stayed silent. He looked at the glass he was holding like suddenly it became something remarkable.

"You can't possibly be thinking about this. Or are you already considering?" Ummi kind of accused me. Like why?

"Baba? Why are you silent?" I ask him avoiding my mother's glares.

"It's your decision, Ayra. You are marrying not me. What do you think?" Baba finally responded, placing his glass on the table in front.

"Mm...if you are asking me because he is divorced then baba, I don't have a problem. It is sunnah. And ummi don't judge before you know anything!" I stated. I hate when someone judges anyone based on the outlook of society. I know she is hesitating because of 'what will the society think' thought.

"Azeez, what is she saying? Ayra, are you sure about this?" Ummi asked baba and then pointed a question at me.

"Yes, ummi. Baba, can you check on their family status and reputation?" He nods to my question. "And ummi, no, I haven't seen her brother and we haven't talked!" I add.

"Not even a photo," I say again before giving my mother a chance to speak.

And after trying my best to convince her about marrying a divorced man is not a shame. And what society thinks doesn't matter, I succeed.

Now I am officially ready to look forward if this marriage is going to work or not.

I texted Ihsan;

I told my parents about the marriage proposal. And I gave your family name too. They are going to search.

I am looking forward.

______

Me too. For your votes.

Sorry for the short chap. Bye.

Please vote and help me.