Urban Legend

This world is chaotic. There is no such thing as fate. This world is only full of coincidences. It is irrational. It is absurd. It makes no sense. Created from the famous wishes of those who have understood this truth and do not want to accept it. The wish for there to be things that make the world a little more interesting - it's called an urban『legend』.

- Now, here's one. Let me help you make this boring reality slightly more interesting. Or rather, let me entertain you with a 『new urban legend』. For now, I think I'll start the story like this. With a classic and elegant opening sentence.

- 『Have you ever heard of this rumor...? 』

Of a group of exceptional players, referred to by other players online as "Blank" because their nickname never appeared on any list, it was just a blank space. No one knew anything about these players, only one fact was known: they did not lose in any game. In over 280 online games, their nickname was at the top of the leaderboards. Some say it was a cheating organisation, others that it was a trend, that the empty nickname was used by different players, each good at their own game.

But the reality ... was quite different. As with all urban legends.

"... Arf... I'm dying, I'm going to die... ah, I'm dead... hurry up and come rez me*~"

*rez: a term used online derived from "resurrection" which means to revive.

"...*slurp*, *slurp*... controlling two mouses... with my feet... is impossible..."

"Whatever, hurry up, rez, rez, re... no but that is unfair, little sister I am crapping myself controlling several characters and all you can think of is eating!

"... Brother, you want to eat too... ? A Calorie Mate* or something..."

*Calorie mate: Brand of energy bars.

"Who would want to eat a bourgeois dish like a Calorie Mate? Whatever, that's not the point, just hurry up and get back to work!"

"... *sip*... Hmm, here you go."

Whoooooosh... ping!

" Oh. Well done~ ... by the way, what time is it?"

"...Err...it's still eight in the morning..."

"What a curious expression sis... bringing up eight in the morning to talk about the night. So, what day is it?"

"... Who knows... this is the first, second... fourth time we've had noodles... so, four days I would say?"

"No, no, little sister, I don't want to say how many days we stayed up all night. What day of what month?"

"...Why would a NEET need to know that...?"

"It's obvious! For online events or ranking tournaments!"

- A boy and a girl playing games on the internet.

Two people chatting without looking at each other while sitting in the same room. The room is... sixteen tatami mats in area. It's rather spacious.

But with cables connected to multiple game consoles and 4 PCs each, crawling across the floor in an intricate manner giving a modern art effect, as well as game boxes still in blister packs spread all over the floor next to those instant noodle packs and other water bottles these two call 『provisions』, very little of the original room could be glimpsed to feel its real space. The only light sources in the room were the dim glow of the LEDs and the sunlight coming through the opaque curtains.

The two spoke.

"...Nii, aren't you going to...look for a job?"

"...And you, aren't you going to go to school?"