For what used to be, and for what it is now.

After I had a minute to collect myself, I shot off a quick text to the only person I felt like being around.

Wanna go destroy some shit?

Not even a minute passed by before I received a response:

Justice
I'm down. There in 10

After reading his text, I found myself smiling slightly at my phone. Before I could reply, my phone dinged again, only the message wasn't from Justice.

Jabari
I really want to take you out.

My smile fell as I bit my lip and considered Jabari's text.

We'd been messaging back and forth on Instagram before I finally gave him my number, and from what I could tell, he seemed to be genuinely trying to get to know me. Only problem was my heart was pulling me in one direction, and my mind was pulling me in the other.

It's just going out once. It's not a big deal. I reasoned with myself.

Besides, it was too early to confront the feelings I was developing for Justice, and Jabari was a safe and welcome option to distract and quite possibly distance me from the dreadhead that had just begun creeping his way into my dreams. Especially since he looked and acted like he fell out of them.

Finally deciding, I sent Jabari a text for us to get together sometime during the week.

By the time I finished that, Justice's name filled my phone screen as he called me.

"I thought you'd be here in 10." I smiled as I answered the call.

"I'm driving now. I just haven't heard your voice in a while." I rolled my eyes at his deep timbered words.

"We just talked yesterday."

"Fuck yesterday, you forgot about me today, Lil' Cin."

"I'm the one that texted you to hang out, sir. You'll practically be begging to drop me back off after today." I joked.

"Nah, I don't even think that's possible."

Was he flirting with me? Just say he's flirting with me so I can die happy.

Just as I was about to continue our banter, he told me to come downstairs to get in the car. I rushed to grab a few of my things since he'd distracted me from getting ready before heading down to meet him. 

"Hey!" I greeted as I hopped in. He smiled my favorite pantydropping smile at my words.

I was almost disappointed at the lack of his signature grills today, but Justice pulled me into a one armed hug that distracted me with his scent. 

Naturally, I'm sure he smelt like a honeyed musk, but with his usual spritz of cologne, there was this elevated scent of cedar and cardamom. Not to mention the way his hair smelt like the best essential oils ever invented.

I definitely see why they call them essential. 

"Hey, Cinthe." The shiver that begged to ripple through my body at the nickname was resisted as I smiled and released him. Boundaries, I thought in my head. 

"You know where the Yard is?" I asked as he gripped the back of my headrest with one hand and began driving with the other.

"Yeah, I've been there a couple times."