Chapter 9 - Incendiary

Start from the beginning

"I have an idea on what we can do." You suggest softly, Four's tired gaze turning curious. He hums inquisitively, quietly ushering you to continue. "Well, we don't have a lot of contestants, but maybe we could give them a challenge to come up with a good way to get out of here...y'know, without the whole...building collapsing and slaughter of a bunch of balloon puppies...maybe the prize can be...umm..." Four's eyes light up. "An immunity token!" He exclaims. It's perfect! He clears his throat and moves in front of the others, a new, wide smile spread on his face.

"Alright everyone! I know it's been a while, but we have an opportunity to start the next co-"

"Oh My Spark, it is you guys!" A raspy voice cheers, interrupting Four. You and the others turn, surprised by the familiar voice. Firey stands on the other side of the bars, a ring of keys in hand. He's surrounded by a group of three balloon dog guards, Spongy in the middle of them with shackles around his ankles. Bubble, Taco, and Ruby rush to the front of the cell, reaching around the squishy, inflatable bars to greet him.

"Foirey! It's so gooid to see you again!" Bubble says. Firey's gaze softens from surprise to a soft, welcoming smile. Ruby practically throws herself against the bars, the balloons squeaking and stretching as she to flails her arms around towards Firey. "Can you please let us out of here please pretty please?!" Taco's jaw slacks open in surprise seeing Ruby's gesture. "Come on, Ruby- we need to take this seriously. Can you help us out of here, Firey?" She asks. Firey bites his lip, motioning for them to quiet down. "I...I can't."

"H-huh? But Firey, don't you want to try and win the BFB?" You inquire, noticing Four's frustration. He was just about to announce a challenge before he was interrupted, clenching his fists.

"Oh Flame, you bet I do. I miss you guys...I miss duking it out for the prize...I even had a dream last week where Four screeched me and woke up missing that, too!" He exclaims and you giggle. Four grins menacingly.

"Do you REALLY miss it, Firey?" He asks slowly. If Firey could sweat, he would surely be developing some beads on his forehead from Four's underhanded threat. "Umm..I uh..."

"So...what can you do to help us out?" Taco asks. "Mm...not much. I've got a lot of responsibility with this position...and if I do something like that without talking to um...the king...then...they'll put me out." He murmurs nervously.

"I will speak to this king person then!" Four declares. He is already a little agitated with his competition announcement being cut short with Firey's arrival. The rest of the group turn and look at Four, a little unsure if this is a sound decision. You feel the tension, wringing your hands together nervously. As much as you love them, you recognize their difficulties in communicating.

"Are you sure, Four?" You ask meekly. "Of course I am! I am the host and this is my show! Whoever this king may be, he is impeding on my progress and I will be putting an end to that!" Four says with his arms folded. "And they are holding Balloony hoistage..." Bubble thinks aloud, voice laced with worry.

"Well...funny you should mention that actually..." Firey replies with a slight chuckle.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Four squints at Firey. "Y'know...you're just going to have to see it for yourself to believe it." Firey utters, unlocking the cell. "I can take you to him. If anyone can talk to him about...anything, it'd be you guys." Firey sounds slightly hopeful, though his tired eyes betray his words. He hates having to be so vague about all of this, but he swallows as the balloon dog guards bounce eagerly into the cell, nudging their faces against you and the others to push you along. As Four is about to swipe at one, you reach up to grab his hand to stop him. He freezes suddenly, his fingers slowly curling back over yours just as before. Why did he like this so much? You nod up at him with a determined, yet sympathetic gaze.