She squeals, jumping on me to embrace me into a crushing hug. I almost spill the hot tea but I steady my hand good enough.

Jett walks through the door without knocking, causing Poppy to jump into action against the unknown intruder until she realizes who it is.

"Ferocious," he mumbles with a smirk, "Nik wants us all present, the few people left here stayed behind for a meeting."

I nod, handing Poppy my half full cup of tea as I get out of the bed.

I shuffle through my drawers eventually picking out a plain white T-shirt and black skinny jeans.

After throwing it on, I tie my hair up so it's out of my face.

"Perfect." Jett says then plants his lips onto mine.

Poppy claps, "okay okay, lets get the show on the road."

I thought we were going back to the ballroom but we walk into a large meeting room instead. A large mahogany table sits in the middle of the room with a silver laptop on top. Chairs scatter neatly around it, a sizable whiteboard lined with markers, two windows with grey blackout curtains that are partially closed so they only let out a sliver of light, and filing cabinets stand against the left wall. Three large men sit around the table, still wearing their black suits as well as Ruth, Henry, and Tammy.

Poppy closes her eyes after spotting Tammy. She must have really set her off because Poppy never holds a grudge for this long.

Jett nudges me towards Nik, silently telling me to be next to him.

I stand behind Nik with my arm around his shoulders, giving him a hug from behind. Even after a party, he smells fresh and laundered.

"I have gathered you all here to speak about an event. I didn't want to announce this in front of everyone, just my inner circle." Nik begins one of his speeches.

My eyes wander to Tammy. Is she really apart of the inner circle?

Nik pulls me out front behind him and sits me on his lap. My cheeks heat up at all the prying eyes. I have to learn how to ignore the stares, don't I?

"You are all probably wondering why Tammy is present. She is here because a witch has hexed her. Tammy has committed acts that she does not remember, like killing without a feed and creating a newborn." He gestures towards Poppy who glares at her maker.

I'd be pissed if I were her too.

"How do you know she did if if she doesn't remember doing it?" One of the large men ask.

"Because I saw a witch of my own. Her family has worked with mine for centuries, she can be trusted."

"Dahlia Devonshire?" Ruth asks, perplexed.

Nik nods, "Brexley was Zoey's old friend. When Zoey found out that she passed away, we wanted to do our own investigation. We found a dybbuk box and took it to Dahlia. The spirit inside the box told her who killed Brexley. She said it was Tammy."

Tammy begins to sink in her seat, when my eyes shoot to her.

She killed Brexley.

Nik's hand begins to rub my lower back in attempts to calm my pattering heart. The warmth wrapping around me distracts me from my anger momentarily.

"Zoey," Tammy starts, speaking in a voice softer than what I'm used to, "I'm many things, but I would never purposely kill someone. I don't even feed on women."

I can't help but think she's either a marvelous liar or she's truly sorry and telling the truth. My instinct makes me want to believe her, trust that she wouldn't lie about something so serious. But then again, it's Tammy we're talking about.

"A hex bag was found at her house. Nothing indicates who the witch who hexed her is, but it was destroyed. So far, nothing else has been out of order. I believe Tammy needs protection for the time being." Nik explains.

Tammy shakes her head, "I don't need a babysitter."

Nik ignores her, "Louis, I want you to guard the outside of her house and Walter, you'll be guarding Tammy. Wherever she goes, you won't be far behind."

"Come on, Nik." Tammy complains.

Nik puts his hand up, but Ruth speaks for him, "respect your king."

Typical momma bear behavior. I wouldn't expect any less.

Her words shut Tammy up.

"That should be your job, Zoey. I told you a human has no business here." Ruth continues.

My brain sizzles as I curl my fists. I'm getting tired of her berating me, "with all due respect, ma'am, I haven't been informed of almost anything regarding my duties. I am not able to do things that I haven't been taught to do." I grit.

I notice Henry smile, secretly cheering me on while Poppy holds back a laugh and everyone else sits around me, stunned that I spoke to her in that tone. I can't see Nik's face, but by the look of Jett and Wyatt's expressions, I'd assume he's just as shocked as they are.

Jett clears his throat, breaking up the silent tension that was eating me alive as Ruth glared at me, "so, what's our first move?"

If looks could kill.

"We will live life as normal, besides Tammy's guards. We don't want this witch, or possibly multiple witches to know that we know anything about what's going on. If anything new comes up, I will inform everyone." Nik tells us.

Hours after the meeting, Poppy sneaks out to see Desmond while Jett and Wyatt watch a movie in the theater room with me. I assume Nik is working, his parents are probably also lecturing him about me being human again.

I'm happy I finally spoke up though, even though I could've probably held my tongue.

Thank you all for reading! Please remember to vote, comment, and follow!

What do y'all think about the book so far? :)