The Beginning

It's the day of the Christmas break. Everyone is packing frantically, apart from me who has been packed since last week. This reminds me of my Father, who was always prepared in advance and I get a overwhelming feeling of sadness as I remember Summer break, and everything that happened. I push these thoughts away as I check my shoulder bag for all the essential I need for the train journey. All of my friends plan to go home as well so hopefully I will get to visit the burrow at some point. I make a mental note to get a good Christmas present for the Weasleys, who took me in when I had nowhere to go.
Just as I begin to write some gift ideas down on a piece of spare parchment, the boys come bustling down the stairs with their trunks rattling behind them. "Morning", I grin. "Morning", They both smile and sit next to me.
"All packed?", I ask.
"Probably not", Blaise sighs.
"I had to help him pack, he left it all till this morning", Draco rolls his eyes.
"Fuck sake Blaise", I tut.
"Sorry but we can't all be like you packing months in advance", Blaise retaliates.
"Better to be safe then sorry", I say tapping my trunk lightly, grateful for it's sturdy handle, that will hopefully carry all my books to and from the manor.

The train is as usual packed full of people. We find a carriage near the back and clamber into it. Luna, Blaise, Draco and I sit together. Hermione is with Ron and Harry and I assume Ginny is with Dean again.
"You excited to meet Luna's Dad?", I ask Blaise as they sit intertwined, her head resting on his shoulder, his arm around her waist.
"Nervous, but excited", He smiles at her.
"Nothing to be worried about, I know Dad will adore you", She reassures and he kisses her on the forehead.
"Merlin, you two make me want to puke sometimes", Draco complains, jokingly.
"You're just jealous", I say teasing him.
"I mean it does break my heart to see Blaise with someone else but...", He begins.
I slap him lightly on the face and he laughs as Blaise and Luna sit watching, amused.
"She's right you know, you could do with some romance in your life", Blaise says winking.
"Overrated", He simply mumbles in response and my heart sinks a tiny bit. I slump further into my seat and I can tell Luna notices.
"When you find the right person you won't think that", She grins and gazes at Blaise.
"Awh, I love you Luna", Blaise beams.
"Right", Draco says getting up.
"Where are you going?".
"I physically cannot watch this any longer or I will kill myself", He says very seriously.
"It's not that bad...", I say but I look over at them and they are now snogging like their lives depend on it.
"Oh fuck, okay i'm coming with you", I say, using this as an excuse to be alone with Draco.
We leave the carriage and find the only empty one which is at the very back.
"After you Madam", He says holding the door open, playfully.
"Why thank you Sir", I joke back and we sit down across from each other.
"Merlins fucking beard I couldn't take that any longer".
"It was alright...until they started snogging", I giggle.
"How do you think i feel when it's just me and them. I reckon he won't come back after Christmas", Draco says.
"Nah, he loves you too much.", I smile.
"Okay enough about them. How are you?".
"I'm fine. I'm actually really excited".
"For Christmas?".
"Yes...and getting to spend time with you". I say, nervously.
"Really?", He says in shock, as if he thinks i might just be pulling his leg.
"Yes", I say looking him in his eyes.
"To be honest, I thought you would ditch me for Harry again", He says, shyly. It's rare to see Draco get flustered, but now is one of those rare moments.
"What's your obsession with him?", I ask.
"More like what's his obsession with you!", He exclaims.
"Yeah yeah, according to you every boy is obsessed with me", I blush.
"(Y/N), you don't know the effect you have on people", He gulps.
"What do you mean?", I ask.
"You're so clueless", He sighs.
"You're making no sense".
"I see the way he looks at you", He says.
"Mhm? And how's that?".
"Like you're the only person in the room.", Draco says gazing into my eyes.
"Sure.".
"He does. I would know.", He says.
I pause for a moment, gathering myself. I'm not sure if he's saying what I think he's saying.
"You would.", I say slowly.
He nods. The silence between us is loud and it feels as though a protective layer has been placed over us so that everything else is blocked out, no background noise, no worries, nothing, just us.
"Do you trust me?", He asks.
"You know I do. With my life", I say.
He leans in slightly. It takes everything in me to kiss him right then and there. I don't know if I contain the self control to not reach out and put my hands in his hair.
Just for a second I think, maybe finally we will...he's right there and nothing is stopping us.
A knock at the carriage door.
We pull away instantly, just like before.
It's harry.
"(Y/N)?", Harry says, looking between the two of us suspiciously.
"What do you want?", I say, more aggressively then expected.
Both boys look at me, taken aback although Draco looks quite amused.
"Sorry. I don't know what came over me...", I say.
"It's fine.", He clears his throat. "Could you come with me for a second? Please.".
I glance at Draco who nods.
"Okay.".

I enter the carriage and see Hermione and Ron, sitting across from each other clearly waiting for us.
"Hello", I smile.
I sit across from Harry.
"What's up?", I ask cheerfully.
Harry puts his hand up to fix his hair, clearly quite nervous. I see a blotch of red on his hand.
At first I think nothing of it, but I then I see his hand clearly as it rests on his knee.
"Harry! Your hand! What the fuck!", I shout reaching out to touch it.
He flinches.
"It's nothing", He says.
"It's not nothing!", Mione says.
"Mate...you should show her". Ron looks at him sternly.
Harry glances at them then back at me. "Fine. But please don't tell anyone...especially not Malfoy", He says defensively.
"I would never", I promise.
He holds out his hand which I hold in mine, examining it.
In red scabby letters his hand reads, "I must not tell lies". It looks like dark magic, painful and deep.
"Oh my...who did this?", I say, tearing up.
"Umbridge", He says, looking down.
"We need to report it", I say instantly.
"No", Harry says.
I look to Hermione for help.
"He doesn't want to and we can't make him. I've tried already .", She says sadly.
"We should kill her", Ron scowls.
"I was thinking the same thing". I agree.
"For fuck sake, I'm fine, that's not what i wanted to talk to you about".
"More bad news? I don't care, this is more important", I say, fiercely as I cradle Harry's hand.
I look at them all, their faces are plastered with...what is it? I can't tell if it's guilt, or sadness or genuine pity.
"(Y/N)...", He begins.
"Go on. What is it?", I gulp.
There's a pause and I can feel my heart beating so fast i think i might be dying.
"Your father is in Azkaban".