The Yule Ball (pt.1)

Draco's POV:
I sit on my bed twisting the ring (Y/N) bought me backwards and forwards on my finger.
I will treasure this for the rest of my life.
I lay down slowly.
My head hurts. It always hurts if i'm quite honest.
It sickens me that I have to lie to her everyday.
It pains me that I have to act normal, and happy.
If only she knew what an evil, disgusting person i am. I don't think she'd ever look at me the same.
The only time I'm honest these days is when she makes me smile, or laugh. I cant fake that. If it wasn't for (Y/N) i would lose myself completely. She reminds me that i am alive. Despite everything, she makes it bearable.
The door opens.
"It's time", Blaise says, dramatically.
I had completely forgot about the fucking Yule Ball.

(Y/N)'s POV:
Me and Hermione have decided to get ready together for moral support.
Neither of us have ever been to a dance so this is quite terrifying.
We sit on her bed, two floating mirrors in front of us, doing our hair and makeup.
"You excited?", She asks.
"More nervous to be honest", I admit.
She leans over and squeezes my hand. She gives me that pitiful look that everyone's been giving me recently. At least, everyone who knows what happened.
I pull my hand away.
"It's not because of that. I'm nervous because I have zero clue how to dance and me and Cedric are expected to dance in front of the whole school", I sigh.
"I've been practicing", She says.
"Of course you have", I grin.
"Come here. I'll show you", She says and she gets up off her bed.
She puts her hand on my waist and slowly instructs me on where to place my feet.
"You're doing it!", She says excitedly.
"Just about", I roll my eyes.
"Oh come on. When you look that gorgeous no one is going to be bothered about some stupid dance moves . Everyone's going to be too busy staring at your face.", She says.
"I guarantee you, you are the only person who thinks that", I laugh.
"Cedric?".
"Well yeah..."
"And a few others i can name", She says averting her gaze back to the floating mirror.
"Who?", I say curiously.
She continues doing her makeup.
"Hermione!", I plead.
"Fine", She turns back to me.
"I was going to say Harry", She says cheekily.
I flop down onto the bed.
"You know about that?", I moan.
"He's my best friend, of course i know about it", She laughs.
"For fuck sake. I'd almost forgotten", I sigh.
"He would definitely have asked you tonight if it wasn't for Cedric".
"Now i just feel bad".
"You have no reason to feel bad".
"I know, but i do. I feel like a bad friend".
"Talk to him tonight. It's the only thing you can do. You can't force feelings but you can be a good friend to him right now. He's going through a lot".
"I know. I'm sorry i've been so distant with him i just felt...awkward due to the whole situation".
"Understandable. I'm not mad at you but i do sometimes miss the four of us hanging out."
I think for a moment. I feel guilty. I wonder if I should tell her the truth or not.
"I miss it too. I guess i've just felt like it's better to distance myself from you guys", I say quietly.
"Why would you think that?", She turns to me.
I smile weakly, "All i ever do is cause you guys drama. I do more harm than good in your lives.", I sigh.
"(Y/N)", Hermione takes a breath and puts her free hand on my shoulder.
"Life here is full of drama. You can't blame yourself for that. Do you know how many stupid arguments I have on the daily with those two?".
I laugh. "I've never once felt like you've brought bad to my life. As a matter of fact you made my life a lot easier when you were around. Being the only girl in the group is not exactly a dream", She smirks.
"I'm sorry. Hopefully i'll be around more often.", I hug her.
"I hope so".
We finish getting ready in comfortable silence. I go into the bathroom to slip on my dress. In the mirror i stare at myself. A ball is probably the last place i want to be right now but as the muggles say, "the show must go on".

Hermione and I go down into the common room where most of the girls are chattering amongst each other. Hermione grabs a bottle and gestures it towards me.
"Just a tiny bit", I say.
She pours a small amount into a plastic cup and then pours some for herself too.
I sip slowly.
"Wheres all the boys?", I ask.
"Probably already on their way. It takes them two minutes to get ready", She shrugs.
We spend some time "mingling" if that's what you call me standing awkwardly beside Hermione as she natters away with Gryffindor girls i barely know.
"Time to go", She says as people start to descend out of the common room.
"I guess so".
I take her hand and we walk together silently, both preoccupied by our own thoughts.

The Great Hall is full to the brim with people. Everyone looks entirely different than usual, all dressed up and nervously fidgeting with ties and necklaces.
Once again the decorations are hard to miss and i find myself mesmerized by them for a moment until Viktor Krum sweeps into eyeshot and basically grabs Hermione by her hand, kissing it surprisingly gently.
Hermione blushes and introduces me to Krum whom i politely acknowledge.
"Do you mind if I...", She begins.
"No, no of course not. Go! Have fun!", I force an unnatural smile and ignore the anxious pit in my stomach.
"I'll see you on the dance floor", She winks excitedly and with that her and Krum are gone.

I make my way down the steps cautiously as soon as I spot Ron and Harry. They both look at me with mouths wide open.
I wave, unsure what to do.
"Hello", I smile.
"My oh my", Ron says.
"What?".
"(Y/N), i mean this in the most respectful way possible. You look smoking hot right now", He says, seemingly in a trance.
I laugh it off even though I can feel my cheeks burning through my makeup.
"Thanks Ron, you look great too", I say before I examine his absolutely awful dress robes.
Harry notices my change in expression.
"You sure about that?", Harry grins.
"Piss off", Ron shoves him to the side.
"You look really...i mean you look", Harry begins.
I stay silent waiting for him to finish his sentence.
"You look beautiful", He says finally.
"Why thank you Harry", I laugh at his awkwardness. 
"You look a great deal better then Ron", I joke and Harry laughs.
"It's the suit isn't it?", Ron asks anxiously.
"I think it's the hair actually", Harry teases.
A voice calls from behind the boys, "Harry? Ron?".
It's the Patil twins.
Ron rolls his eyes and Harry bites his lip frustratedly.
"Wish us luck", Ron says before they turn to greet the two girls.
"Good luck".

I walk around a little more.
Where the hell is Cedric?
I'm beginning to get more and more anxious when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I spin around and see Cedric.
He looks me up and down, a stunned look on his face.
He's wearing a sophisticated black suit and his hair is neat and i can tell he's spent ages combing it. Nevertheless he looks so effortlessly good.
"Merlin, you look amazing (Y/N)", He says as he leans in for a kiss.
"Is that it? Ron and Harry were practically drooling", I joke.
He rolls his eyes, "Okay you look absolutely drop dead gorgeous".
"Mhm. Better", I say.
"No, honestly. You look...wow. Just wow", he whistles playfully and i push him.
"I wasn't going to boost your ego but i have to say you look incredibly handsome tonight", I say, blushing.
"You're so sweet", He says intertwining his hand in mine.
"Shut up", I say.
He grins at me happily.
"Do you fancy a drink?", He asks.
"Why not", I say.
Cedric goes to get drinks and I decide to sit down. My feet are already sore from these fucking heels.
I look around a little until i spot those familar grey eyes.
Draco smiles at me.
We both examine each other's outfits.
We're wearing the same emerald green. Of course we are. He starts to smirk and I can't help but laugh quietly to myself.
He begins to move towards me but stops as he sees Cedric coming back with our drinks.
I make a mental note to talk to him later.
"I got you a-", Cedric begins.
"Cedric! (Y/N)!", A shrill voice shouts.
We turn to see McGonagall rushing towards us.
"Follow me! The dance starts any minute now!".