Wizards Chess

Standing tall in all its glory was a giant human sized wizards chess board. It was absolutely magnificent. The chess pieces were about twice the size of me and Hermione put together.  We stared in silence for a good minute taking in the whole room until Harry said what we were all thinking.
"What the hell are we supposed to do now?", he turned and looked at each of us a terribly concerned look painted across his face. Even Hermione was lost for words.

Ron suddenly walked up to the board and placed his hand on the tall black horse in front of him which was missing a knight.
"It's obvious!", he exclaimed.
"Huh", we said in unison.
"We've got to play our way across the room!", he grinned. Ron seemed to find this very exciting.
"You mean like...a real game of wizards chess?", I asked still quite confused.
"Exactly", Ron nodded and I took a step back.
"Ron that's barbaric!". Hermione shouted stepping back with me.
"I'm not playing a real life game of wizards chess and having some wooden knight chop my head off with a sword!", I hissed and he rolled his eyes.
"We won't get our bloody heads chopped off!. Honestly you're so overdramatic sometimes you two", he raised his eyebrows at me and Hermione who shook her head sighing.

"Come on guys", Harry began. "You got a better idea?".
We stayed silent. "Thought so", Rom said proudly.
We stood there waiting for Ron's directions.
"Okay, now what?", Harry began to walk towards the middle of the board.
"Alright, Harry, you take the empty bishops square", Ron pointed towards the left of the black side of the board.
"(Y/N) and Hermione you take the queen side castle".
We walked off to the right of the board and stepped inside the white square.
"As for me", Ron gulped. "I'll be a knight".
He marched towards the black horse he had earlier been staring at and mounted it becoming the missing knight.

"What now", asked Hermione.
"White moves first and then...", there was a pause, "we play".
Suddenly a white bishop piece moved a few squares up and Hermione jumped beside me and grabbed my arm.
"You there!", Ron shouted at the black bishop. "Move to D5!".
I had no idea what this meant but Ron seemed to know what he was doing.
Then, the white bishop pulled out a stone sword and sliced our bishop in half, leaving Harry starstruck.
"Um Ron..." he began but ignored him.

We moved across the board until me, Harry and Hermione were basically off it. Ron stood alone on the board facing the king. He was still sitting on top of the horse facing the King looking very focused.

We stood there expecting him to get off but he stayed where he was.
"Checkmate", He whispered.
"Wait", Harry began confused.
"RONALD!", Hermione screamed.
"What are you doing!", I shouted but it was too late, the King had drawn his sword and with one fast motion Ron was sent flying off the horse and onto the floor just like all the other pieces.
"RON!", we screamed and ran over to him, kneeling down and checking his breathing.
"Ron. Are you okay"
"Are you alright Ronald"
"Say something"

Then, his pale face now smudged with dirt formed a ghostly grin and he opened one of his eyes.
"Checkmate", he mumbled.
We laughed and we knelt down and hugged him filled with relief.
"Bloody hell, I never knew wizards chess could kill me".
Harry turned around looking at the door.
"Ron needs to stay here. You two stay here and look after him okay?", He got up abruptly.
"NO!", I shouted, and he turned his head.
"I'm coming with you! You can't go on your own, don't be stupid".
"(Y/N)", he began but I gave him a fierce look and he sighed and held his hand out for me to come with him.
"Hermione will you be alright?", I shouted.
Hermione was kneeling down next to Ron, her hand under his head supporting him and Ron eyes were half closed. He was groaning dramatically in pain.
"Yes", she shouted back, "We'll be fine. Now go! And be careful!". I nodded.

I took Harry's hand and together we walked through the door into a dark, foggy room. The back of someone was facing us.
Someone's head.
A red turban.
A cold, soulless voice began to speak, it was horrible and it made the hairs stand up at the back of my neck.
"Harry Potter"