Chapter 8.7: To Each Their Vows

---

ILIAS PAYNE

Asher shot a look at me. "Looks like we're against each other."

"I don't know what you're capable of and you don't know what I'm capable of. It looks like this fight will be balanced."

"I certainly hope not. I hope it's in my favour. Six exams I've been through, I don't want to go through any more."

The both of us went to the arena-which was full of craters from Chris' Stray Cat Strut attacks and shattered rock from Thaddeus' boulders. The ground had been relatively even, but after the first fight, it was far from it.

"Do both of you know the rules?" Ivan asked.

We nodded.

"Begin!"

Asher studied the field, standing calmly. "I'll stay still for the next five seconds. Make 'em count because you won't get another chance."

It's a trick. He wants me to get close to him or see what I can do.

I shook my head.

"Smart. You should never do something you're opponent tells you to." Asher pointed at me. "Thunderstruck!"

Suddenly, a yellow humanoid appeared hovering beside him. It had the head of a bird and a long rat tail connected to its user's tailbone. It was the same exact size as Asher too, though skinnier. Its entire body was also covered in feathery sparks.

He's a stand user!

The Stand, which was named Thunderstruck, punched the air towards me, generating a lightning bolt. I loosened my stance and summoned a gust of air to my left, causing me to fly in the opposite direction and dodge the lightning barely in time.

The ground it struck became charred with thin smoke emerging.

This is my first time going up against a Stand User.

I was told they were unable to use jynx, but they would get a powerful summoning in exchange. A Stand must stick close to its user and in the case of Asher's, his was connected to him.

Whatever I do, I must avoid close-ranged fights.

I was hoping I could fight him up close, but that was clearly out of the picture. His lightning attacks were way faster than I could ever be.

I levitated broken shards of boulder and sent them flying at Asher using a gust of powerful wind.

Thunderstruck hovered in front of its user. "Hazazazazaza!" it cried as it deflected the shards with a barrage of punches.

"You really think it'll be that easy?"

"Nope, but I was hoping it was."

Ever since this battle began, Asher hadn't moved even a single step from where he had been standing. He was content with staying in the open as he knew Thunderstruck could protect him.

He didn't have to worry about exhausting his gates either since he could simply dispel and resummon his Stand.

There was no way I was touching Asher with Thunderstruck protecting him. But Stands were bound to their users. The greatest chance I had of beating him was attacking the Stand he was bound to.

I pointed my wand and aimed for Asher. Thunderstruck leapt in front of its user to deflect my upcoming attack.

"Water Cannon!"