Chapter 21.1: Go Your Own Way

---

ILIAS VAN PAYNE

The town of Shoya hid over the horizon, the heat from the ground distorting its image.

We came across a flat open area a couple of minutes from the road. There was no water source nearby but that was something my staff and I could take care of.

We set up camp with an hour of sun still on our side. Jaime and I settled the horses for the night before gathering firewood. Roxy and Roxanne stayed at the camp preparing dinner and keeping watch of our captives who were tied to a tree with nothing but twine.

Florence and Vienna hadn't made any attempts at escaping. Ever since, Messina's death, they had truly lost their sense of purpose, simply riding where the current took them.

Whenever we were alone, Jaime would ask questions about my previous life. Every question that could be asked was asked. It was comforting not having to carry the burden of my reincarnation alone, especially with someone who admired who I was.

"It's getting hotter the more south we go," Jaime said as she hacked firewood with Sting. "You can feel the heat of the desert from here. I can't imagine how hot it'll be there."

"Remember, that desert is a labyrinth first and desert second. It's changing the surrounding mana to make it hotter."

Most labyrinths were only the size of a large village and would transform the terrain into dangerous ecosystems sprawling with monsters who were drawn to protect its heart.

The Great Sand Sea, unlike most labyrinths, transformed nine million square kilometres into a desert, making it the biggest labyrinth and desert in Armestis. It used up mana to hide its heart within a massive area, making it uninhabitable.

The great cities that used to be there were destroyed, forcing their inhabitants to abandon them. The only remnants of those civilizations were ruins buried within the levelled sands.

Many aspiring archaeologists flocked towards the desert. Its lost civilizations were the last few undocumented in history.

More than two thousand years have passed since the creation of the Great Sand Sea. Monsters adapted to its harsh environment, making it dangerous to cross without an experienced guide.

There were many attempts at building roads, but all of them found themselves a page in the long history of the great desert. The labyrinth had a mind of its own, swallowing and destroying anything foreign from its sands.

There were only a handful of people who knew how to cross the desert safely. This included repelling monsters and knowing the way. This was why their services were so costly.

"We're going to arrive at Shoya tomorrow," Roxanne explained over supper. "It takes one month to cross the desert and there are always two expeditions happening. One from Orisa to Roa and one the other way around. I've been keeping track of the days. If I'm correct—which I'm certain of—the next expedition leaves the day after tomorrow."

"We're on a tight schedule," I mentioned.

"The guide team only do two things—show us the way and protect us. Everything such as food, water, shelter, and the like is our responsibility."

"Also, they only take payments an hour before the expedition starts," Florence added. "They don't take refunds either. And if you make a payment and you're not there the second they blow that whistle, your money is long gone."

Roxy tossed more logs into the fire. "It sounds like you're speaking from experience."

"I am. I paid, got distracted, and tried to catch up to them. I got lost and that's how Messina found me."