𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟖 { Moving On }

Começar do início

I take a deep breath, closing my eyes. Get it together Sage.

Unfortunately the moment to myself doesn't last very long and the handle to my door turns down once again. Preparing for yet another order to fulfill or to fix, I'm met with much better news instead.

"I've got a venti iced coffee with four pumps of white mocha and sweet cream for a very special lady." Elliot strolls into my office carrying a drink holder containing both of our Monday usuals.

"You know I love you right?" I stand, grabbing the venti cup from his grasp and take a long needed drink to replenish my insides. The liquid soothes my grumbling stomach and my frequent nerves all in one go.

Elliot grins widely, shrugging. "Who wouldn't love all this?"

"Don't let it get to your head." I jokingly reply while walking around my massive desk that I still haven't gotten used to. There's a couple of plant succulents around the edges, a stack of files in the corner that needed to be sorted and a picture frame of Dad, Eleanor, Niko and I from last Christmas sitting upfront.

Once my eyes land on the still image of our smiling faces, I immediately feel homesick. I've only been in Chicago for two years after graduating from Syracuse a year early and it was still kind of weird not going back forth between New York and New Jersey. Now whenever I wanted to visit I had to book a flight.

"You okay up there?" Elliot questions leaning against my doorframe wearing his usual button down and patagonia fleece sweater. Today his hair is a mess of floppy blonde curls and it pairs wonderfully with his deep tan skin that he received living in the Dominican Republic for most of his life.

Although El doesn't work in my department we ran into each other in the elevator on my very first day as an intern working at Urban Scope. And I mean literally ran into each other. By the end of the awkward ride up, we were both soaked in Rosalind's coffee order and I was freaking out about embarrassing myself on my first day. Elliot assured me it was no worries and even went as far as taking the blame when I went to explain to Rosalind what had happened. Ever since that day, we've practically been glued to the hip.

"Yeah, fine. Just missing home." I brush off the gloomy thoughts and plaster a smile on my face. "Let's talk about something else."

He nods, understanding before sitting on the lavish swivel chair opposite from me. "Do you know why Sterlings all dressed up and extra hostile today?"

"She's not hostile..." I drawl and Elliot gives me a pointed look, which I ignore. "Cut her some slack she has a lot on her plate." I take a long sip of my drink, relaxing a bit in my chair.

"That still doesn't explain why you're her third secretary this year alone." His eyebrows raise as I roll my eyes.

"Well, that doesn't make me feel any better." I respond, thinking deeply about the reality of his words.

The phone on my desk rings and without a second thought I bring the device to my ear.

I bring a finger to my lips as an indication to stay quiet. "Sage Winters speaking. How may I help you?" I clear my throat in order to get my voice to a higher friendlier pitch. Something tells me it works when Elliot begins muffling his chuckle behind his hand. I reach for a nearby pen and fling it at his chest, but he catches it instead and begins weezing with laughter. He sounds like a literal dying pig but I can't help but pull my lips into a smile of my own.