𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟔 { Do You Solemnly Swear }

Start from the beginning

"Hey sweetie."

My smile fades for half a second before I mask my disappointment. "Dad." I sigh, thankful he made it in safely. "How'd you get in? The pap didn't bother you, did they?"

"No, no. Some guy had brought me in through another door. I don't know how they knew it was me but I'm eternally grateful."

Kelsey

She was the only one who knew my Dad got anxious around paparazzi.

"Is this everyone sitting behind you?" Matthew questions looking around, with clear disappointment attached to his face.

I feel the pulse in my chest weaken, knowing I was going into that room with one less person in my corner.

"We're all she needs." Dad answers, sending me a reassuring smile as I swallow the hard truth that Zach wasn't coming. If I read the letter correctly that meant he was on a flight to Texas.

Matthew murmurs under his breath before pinching the bridge of his nose. "Sage, I'd like to speak to you alone. If I can have you the two of you wait in the courtroom. This won't take long."

Dad and Vic reluctantly agree once I tell them it's alright to leave us alone.

"What was that?" I immediately voice as the door clicks close, snapping my head in his direction. Matthew seems more than unfazed by my hostile tone but I'm done following orders and being on the outskirts of this case that would ultimately determine the next few years of my life.

"Sage, I made a few calls this morning and because of how public this case is, the judge may use you as an example. Its unfortunate but I thought it was best that I prepare you for the worst case scenario so you aren't caught off guard out there."

"What?" I understand what he's saying but nothing else seems appropriate to say.

"Unless you nail that testimony I don't see how you walk out of her without more legal fees on your hands and a load ton of PR statements to put out." He explains.

"But you said we would win. That because of my mother being incompetent to sign that contract our chances were high. What good did it do to get my hopes up just for you to practically bail at the last minute."

"No one is bailing, Sage." He comes around the table to sit down in the chair next to mine. My leg is moving non stop underneath the cramped desk as I try to dissolve my nerves. "We tried paying a visit to your mother to strengthen your story, but she declined any visitors. The odds just aren't in your favor for this one. As I stated before, it's my job as your attorney to be as honest with you as possible."

As I enter the courtroom I'm burdened by stares, frozen with unthinkable fear and left with a momentary numbness only one person was capable of ridding.

I take my designated seat in the chair next to Matthew before glancing over to my right where Kelsey and her lawyers are in a heated discussion with each other.

Once the bailiff enters through the double doors, everyone turns their attention to the front of the courtroom. Judge Miller walks in with his chin held high and a blank stare spread across his features like he had much better things to be doing. Everyone stands to their feet once the Bailiff orders us to rise.