𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟓 { So This Is Heartbreak }

ابدأ من البداية

"I'm not supposed to tell you this..." Miles trails and I immediately know Victoria put him up to whatever this was. "Sage came back from her dad's yesterday."

"So she's here" My voice comes out strained like my vocal cords are glued together. I replace the bin in my hand with one of my many dark colored hoodies, getting ready to bolt through that door.

"Zach—" Miles takes two tentative steps in front of me, blocking my only way out. I'd climb out that window if I had to.

"Move Miles." I breathe heavily.

"Think about this."

"She's the only thing I can think about and you–you are the last person I want to fight with right now Miles, so move so I can make this right." My stare is blazing compared to his and that's all it takes for him to step aside as I practically rip the door from its hinges and sprint across campus.

Knock Knock Knock

I can feel her

Maybe it's the way my heart thumps frantically against the restraints of my chest or the sweat forming on the palms of my hands making me clench and unclench them constantly.

But I know she's here, possibly the person responsible for the footsteps coming to unlock the door.

Victoria opens the door instead and theres nothing but disappointment in her tone. "I told Miles not to let you come here."

"I need to fix this Victoria. Please, just let me fix this."

"And how exactly are you going to do that huh?" She crosses her arms, strengthening her stance. In reality, I know shes just using her form to block off the door so I can't get in. "You knew about this transfer for days, told Miles, your team and your damn ex before Sage. How did you think that made her feel? Sage isn't selfish Zach, she would never ask you to give up on your dreams for her, not when all you've done is support her through all this modeling crap."

"I just need to see her."

Victoria's eyes drop from my own. "I'm sorry Zach but you can't. She doesn't even know that I've been up all night listening to her cry her fucking eyes out and tomorrow the court decides whether or not she has to complete her contract so its best if you don't wake her. She only fell asleep an hour ago.

My soul practically leaves my body.

I caused this.

Ignoring the rapid thumping against my rib cage, I ask. "Has she eaten? I can go and grab something for you both before she wakes up. You don't have to tell her that it was me."

"Zach..." Victoria sucks in a breath, looking away. I can tell just by the way she tilts her head to the ceiling that she's fighting back tears. "She won't."

I swallow down the boulder lodged in my throat and look past her shoulder. I can see the hall that leads to her room from here. It's dark and I envision Sage curled up in a ball of her own tears behind that door. And it's all because of me. "How long has it been?"

Vic sighs, dropping her arm from the open space "Almost two days. She can't keep anything down."

"She's—it's because of me." I stumble backwards, running a trembling hand across my face. There's a long drawn out pause. It's full of regret. "I'm so sorry—just please tell her that."