CHAPTER SIXTEEN

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Alaenys recovered after a week of being bedridden, and she had felt bad towards Viserra, who had not been able to be with her mother in her first week in the world. Alaenys would try and make it up, by holding Viserra close to her at all times, some said it'd cause problems later on, how Viserra might get too dependent on Alaenys, but Alaenys knew it wouldn't happen.

She had seen her bond with her children, and they had been all great, no one had been treated with more care or love than another, and Alaenys loved them unconditionally.

As she did Aemond, who seemed to have withdrawn himself from her, standing close but less close than he had before she gave birth. It hadn't been Alaenys fault, and he had tried to explain his feelings, but he was never good at words.

Aemond was afraid, to put it simply. He was afraid to touch Alaenys, to be intimate with her, what if she were to conceive another child? But this one would kill her; he would never forgive himself. And if Alaenys was gone before the children could voice their own thoughts, they might take them away from him. Alaenys had tried, and failed, to show Aemond she was fine, she had become desperate for his touch, his affection, his love. But Aemond could not stop seeing the bedridden, weak Alaenys after she survived 14 hours of labour for Viserra.

Alaenys had tried to show Aemond in many different ways how she did not care, appearing in his room naked on his bed, or trying to seduce him in the halls of the Red Keep, but nothing she did or tried made him change his mind.

Alaenys even thought of jealousy, but Aemond didn't seem like the jealous lover. She did ask for another sworn knight, one from the Kingsguard, which was granted to her by the means of ser Erryk Cargyll. He had been a kind man, and a good knight. He spends his time shadowing Alaenys, to the point that Aemond took even more distance from her.

While Alaenys had not thought Aemond to be jealous, he was. He had been more jealous than any men in the realm before him. He had hated ser Erryk to the point he'd even belittle ser Arryk, the knights twin brother, not that it would help him, but he had been seething.

Could Alaenys not see that he was doing this for her? To keep her alive?

Alaenys had only found him selfish, and the two had barely spoken because of the silent disagreement. Alaenys had given up on ever restoring their estranged relationship when she heard Aegon laugh about how Aemond had tried to approach Lord Strong's bastard daughter, Alys Rivers, who worked in the Street of Silk. She had mentally wished him luck, with whatever he planned with the bastard woman, yet her heart had not yet moved on.

She had looked at her dresses, all different shades of green, like the Queen wore, and she was disgusted by them, she looked at her lady and motioned her over. "I want a whole new closet of clothes" she told her. It had been near half a year since Viserra had been born, and she had lost the weight she gained from it rather quickly, and she needed something new.