CHAPTER FOURTEEN

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Aegon was not as smart as he could have been. He spends most his days drinking, and he'd be too drunk to even know what day it was. It did Alaenys the perfect alibi when she was with child. Her second pregnancy was some months before the second name day of Aenar and Jaehaera, and it had been a vastly different one.

The moment she conceived; her nights had been plagued by Dragon dreams of her own. She knew the child in her belly would be a girl, and she had agreed upon the name of Viserra, a name Aemond had liked most of all. It had been unique, and it showed respect to the current King, Viserys.

The longer she carried, the less Alaenys seemed to care if anyone caught her with Aemond. What could they possibly do to the Princess and the Prince, who had been the rider of the biggest dragon, and what possible proof could they have that the children were not Aegon's.

Aenar and Jaehaera had the same Valyrian looks, the white silver hair and purple eyes, none would know the difference, and besides the two were brothers, and it wasn't like the Targaryens had a complicated family tree. Alaenys spend most of her time flying Naela and reading various books. Viserra had been an easier pregnancy, perhaps because she was now carrying only one baby in her belly.

Aemond had seemed even more protective during the second time, making sure the twins didn't feel left out as everyone was fawning over Alaenys and her second pregnancy, but he didn't forget to pay attention to Alaenys either. He didn't think he could love someone as much as he had loved Alaenys, yet whenever he saw her, he felt his heart bounce out of his body, she had it beating that fast.

"Do you need something?" Aemond asked her when he enter her room through the secret passageway. Alaenys looked at him, her hands resting on her belly as she had reached her 7th month. "Could you just lay with me" she asked, craving his company. Aemond smiled, and joined her on her bed, as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders as she rested her head on his chest. "How is little Viserra?" Aemond asked, placing his hand on her belly. "She's calm, she likes your voice" Alaenys said as she felt her eyes close as she tried to read the words on the pages.

"My voice?" Aemond asked, almost laughing at the thought. Alaenys nodded as she looked up at him. "Yes, she is always so calm whenever you are around" Alaenys said, and Aemond enjoyed the thought of his daughter already liking him before she was even born.

But his peaceful thoughts were interrupted when a knock was on the door. Aemond quickly rose to his feet, ready to take his sword if needed. "Who is it?" Alaenys asked, her sleep long gone as she looked at the door. "Your husband" came slurred out drunkenly from the other side. Alaenys stood up and walked towards the door. "What is it?" she asked, crossing her arms for some warmth she was now missing due to the lack of Aemond and her blanket. "I am your husband—" Aegon slurred again, almost not making sense. "Do I need a reason?" he said as he continued to knock on the door.