CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

♤♢♧

Aegon was not a man who did good for the sake of being good. He did good because that was what he was told to do. If it were up to him, he would spend all of his days in Flea Bottom, drinking and fucking his way around. But his Grandsire had other ideas for him, as did his Great-Uncle, they wanted someone of Hightower blood sitting on the Iron Throne.

Everything he had done leading up to that moment was all for that, even if he didn't know it. His marriage to Alaenys, to reproduce heirs and while Otto had been glad from the many children she bore, from sons to daughters, it all crushed when she revealed they had not been Aegon's. They still had Hightower blood, but he needed that first son blood to proof of the old traditions.

When the woman, he knew all too well, stood before the Iron Throne, where his mother had put him, and told him he did have two sons, bastard sons, with his signature silver hair. He didn't know what to say to it. The eldest was named Vaegon, and the youngest had been named Gaemon, His mother had slapped him when she first find out, but she told him, that until he had wed another and got sons from her, they would be his heirs.

Vaegon and Gaemon stayed mostly with Alicent, which had been slowly observed by the assassins send to King's Landing on orders of Prince Daemon Targaryen, he had sent old friends from the City Watch who had been removed for being loyal to the Rogue Prince, when Aegon usurped the Iron Throne from Princess Rhaenyra. They had no names of high significance but most of them gave them the nickname of Blood and Cheese.

They had watched the Red Keep, knowing through Prince Daemon which paths to take and which secret halls they could use. Daemon was never one to be below anyone else. He wasn't called the Rogue Prince because he was such a rule follower, and he didn't care.

They had hurt his family. His wife, his stillborn daughter, his son, and took the throne from his eldest child. Alaenys belonged on the Iron Throne, and she would uphold the traditions he had been valuing as well. Those of Old Valyria. He could see it in her children, his grandchildren; Aenar, Jaehaera, Viserra, and little Daemion and Maelor. Three of them already had dragons claimed, and when everything was over, Daemon vowed to teach them to be dragonriders like he was.

He had sent Blood and Cheese out to kill the bastard boys, as revenge for Lucerys, for his wife and their second daughter, and for Alaenys' child who she lost. Daemon looked at Alaenys, she had been a great Queen already, knowing everyone skill and not favouring her family when they did something stupid, like Jacaerys marrying the Snow girl. He was proud of her, and he wished Rhaenyra could have seen her. But he also noticed that she had not taken a breather. From the moment Viserys had died up until now, she had been fighting, and she needed rest. "My Queen, may I have a word in private" Daemon requested as he looked around. Alaenys send everyone, including her own husband, to run errands and discuss the war elsewhere as she turned to her father.