CHAPTER EIGHT

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER EIGHT

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Alaenys waited for her husband, and good-sister and brother. Aegon stood next to Sunfyre, an already quite large dragon but nowhere near Dreamfyre or Naela. Helaena had already flown into the air, loving the wind in her hair as she rode in the air. Aemond walked over, and Aegon rolled his eyes. "Finally," he said and mounted his dragon.

"Pay him no mind, Aemond, now are you ready?" Alaenys said and Aemond nodded. Alaenys climbed on first, followed by Aemond. "Hold on tight" she said as she saw Aegon fly into the air. "Naela, soves" Alaenys said, and Naela took a small run before leaping into the air, flying high above King's Landing. The three dragon riders followed the King's ship until it finally arrived in Driftmark.

"What did you think?" Alaenys asked, as they got down from Naela. "It was amazing" Aemond said, smiling at his good sister. They all gathered and walked over to the Castle of Driftmark, their Dragons had been faster than the ship, and they did not wait for the King, Queen, and Hand. Alaenys looked around, many had come to pay their respects to Lady Laena Velaryon.

Alaenys walked over to Princess Rhaenys, and Lord Corlys. "my Lord, Your Grace, I wanted to offer you my condolences" Alaenys said, bowing slightly before them. "Thank you, Princess" Lord Corlys said, and gave her a small smile. Aegon simply rolled his eyes as he watched his wife, while Aemond and Helaena followed Alaenys lead just before Alicent and Viserys showed up.

They paid their respects too until it was time for the funeral. Alaenys stood between her husband and her father, who stood with her mother and two younger brothers. Two knights placed a robe around the stone coffin of Laena, Alaenys had heard whispers she had let herself be killed by her own dragon, Vhagar. The Velaryons were bond to water, like Targaryens were bond to fire, and that's how the Velaryons buried their dead.

"We join today at the Seat of the Sea" Vaemond Velaryon spoke in High Valyrian, something Alaenys wasn't too fluent in but enough to understand what was said. "To commit the Lady Laena of House Velaryon" he said and Alaenys wondered why, she had been married to her great uncle—Daemon—who was a Targaryen. And Targaryen's are burned on a pyre with dragonfire. Alaenys looked around, most people had their heads lowered in sadness, or respect for the Sea snake. Except Aegon who seemed bored out of his mind, and her brothers who didn't know what to do, they barely knew Laena.

Alaenys watched, as Laena's children by Daemon clung unto their grandmother, who had theoretically also been hers. But Alaenys couldn't remember a time where Princess Rhaenys had accepted her as a Velaryon, despite her father's words of confirmation. She then looked at Daemon, who stood away from his children. There had been something about him that felt familiar.

"to the eternal waters, the dominion of the Merling King" Vaemond said, continueing the ceremony. "Where He will guard her to all the days to come" he said, looking at the guests. "As she sets to sea for her final voyage, the Lady Laena leaves two true-born daughters on the shore. Though their mother will not return from her voyage, they will all remain bound together in blood" Vaemond said, then side eying Rhaenyra and all her children, including Alaenys.