CHAPTER THREE

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER THREE; the dreamer

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Alaenys didn't curse much, she didn't see the point, and she had two younger brothers who she loved and didn't want to expose to such foul language. She wanted to be the good, sweet sister who was someone Jace and Luke could look up too.

Yet, here she was, in the comfort of her own room, swearing left and right as she was put in a white dress. She knew she had to put it on, it was a custom she'd have to do. But the dress had been hideous and apparently King Viserys had given the Queen the task to dress her. The dress was, in Alaenys words, ugly. It was off the shoulder, and a simple white colour, with the sleeves snug around her arms.

"Everything alright?" Rhaenyra asked, looking at her daughter who had laid herself down on the ground. "I do not want to wear this" Alaenys complained to her mother as she stared at the ceiling of her room. "Who says you do?" Rhaenyra asked, playing with the fabric of the dress. It was a nice form but not flattering to Alaenys. "Well, the King told the Queen to dress me so, here we are" Alaenys said.

Rhaenyra smiled at her daughter, sitting on the sofa that stood in her room as she watched Alaenys. "Then what do you want to wear" Rhaenyra said, as her daughter looked up and smiled. She stood up and ran around her room, as she grabbed some of her sewing materials she had for her lessons with her Septa. It took her a bit of struggling to manage to make a dress while she wore it, but eventually she managed to make something off it, and Rhaenyra looked in awe of her daughter.

Alaenys had used a corset of another dress and sown it together while also adding another few layers of fabric over the skirt. It was still off the shoulder, and she smiled at the final product. Some of the layers were a shade of blue, to represent House Velaryon. She took the dress off and placed it on a dummy to add some of the final touches. "It's beautiful" Rhaenyra said, looking at her daughter and her dress. "Thank you. I thought it might be a nice idea to add some dragon symbolism to it as well as Velaryon" Alaenys said as she looked at her mother. "I think that's a wonderful idea" Rhaenyra said, and helped her daughter look for anything to fit on it.

Alaenys eventually places a Velaryon sigil in the middle at the top of her corset. And silver dragon wings along the skirt. She was proud of the dress, at least there was something to look forward too. She had left her room and went to the Godswood and looked at the large Weirwood tree. She noticed Helaena sitting behind it, probably looking for new bugs to collect. She walked over and smiled at the young princess. She wondered who they'd marry her to, probably Aemond or Daeron who was in Oldtown studying with the Hightowers.

"Hello, Helaena" Alaenys said as she walked over to the young Princess. Now that she was to marry Aegon, she might as well get closer to the other children of her grandfather who would now also become her siblings. Alaenys almost laughed at the complexity of House Targaryen. "Hi" Helaena said as she held a caterpillar on her hand. "How are you?" Alaenys tried as Helaena seemed occupied with the caterpillar. "I'm fine, look, I found a black swallowtail" Helaena said showing her the caterpillar. "It's beautiful" Alaenys said as she took the caterpillar from Helaena.

Alaenys had always noticed Helaena was nothing like her siblings, and her words often made her believe Helaena was a dreamer. But she never managed to see what her words meant. "Do you think I could raise it into a butterfly?" Helaena asked, and Alaenys smiled at her. "I think so, you have raised butterflies before, right?" Alaenys asked and Helaena nodded. "Is that what you meant, the other day? You were talking about wings and green, black, and blue" Alaenys asked, looking at Helaena who then turned to her.

"Bad things are coming, Alaenys, nothing we can stop. It was already set in motion" Helaena said and Alaenys looked at her with sympathy. Dragon madness, and cruelty like Maegor had been one thing, but the Dragon dreams like Daenys were a whole other thing, and Alaenys wouldn't wish it on anyone. "Who is who?" she asked, knowing green would have to be Alicent and her side. Helaena looked at Alaenys. "You don't want to be burdened with it, Alaenys, you won't forgive yourself if you do" Helaena said. Alaenys tried to remember the words.

'Green on green, fighting for blue' she looked down at her necklace, the Velaryons had often used a sea blue-green colour to represent their house, but Alaenys and her brothers often wore simple shades of blue because Alicent had made her children wear shades of green.

Whatever Helaena had seen, it would have something to do with House Velaryon, and if Alaenys would feel guilty if she wanted to bet, she had been the representative of blue. Maybe she would put the greens against each other, or something, she wanted to know, perhaps to prevent. But Alaenys knew that once a dream had been seen, none could stop it, not even the dragons themselves. "Then I suppose I will not." Alaenys said and stood up again before she walked away, leaving Helaena to her bugs.

While she was walking through the Red Keep, someone suddenly walked next to her. "I suggest we make some rules" the person said and when Alaenys looked she saw Aegon, holding his hands on his back as he smirked at her. She rolled her eyes. "And what kind of rules do you want to set up?" Alaenys asked looking at Aegon. "We have our own things going" Aegon said. He didn't want to marry Alaenys, and he assumed she didn't want to marry him either. And they were still young to have some fun in life. "Fair enough" Alaenys said. "We share a room, but I won't object to have another bed or something" Aegon said, causing Alaenys to furrow her eyebrows. "You don't think that won't look suspicious to the maids?" she asked. "Ah, shit yea" Aegon said. "Look, once my mother ascends the throne, I'll become Princess of Dragonstone, on Dragonstone you can have your own room, Seven hells, you can even have your own tower" Alaenys said. "Sounds tempting" Aegon said, moving his face closer to Alaenys.

"Dragons. We fly our dragons as much as we can when we still live in King's Landing to living on Dragonstone" Alaenys said. "Yes, we must" Aegon said, he liked flying, made him feel free. "We shall be civil with each other, be honest about what we want" Alaenys said, and Aegon rolled his eyes. "Alright, fine" Aegon said and held out his hand. "Do we have an accord?" Aegon asked and Alaenys shook his hand. Before she could took her hand back again, Aegon kissed it which made her roll her eyes.

"Charmer" she said before she continued to walk. "I bet I can make you fall for me" Aegon said, running a little ahead of Alaenys, before walking backwards as he spoke to her. "Oh, do you now?" Alaenys said as she looked at Aegon. "Well, I bet you'll fall for me before I fall for you" Alaenys said looking at Aegon. He laughed and looked at Alaenys, before he abruptly stopped before her, causing her to walk into him. He places his hands on her waist as he held her steady. "Are you sure?" he whispered into her ear, raising one eyebrow as he pulled his head back again.

A rose-coloured blush creeped from her neck to her cheeks, burning as hot as a dragon's flame. He placed a peck on her cheek before he walked away from her again, leaving her with her now even redder cheeks. She let out a huff of annoyance, she had told herself she wouldn't get wrapped into this, especially after Helaena's words. She didn't want to be the cause of any more problems.

But she didn't know it had already started, because while Aegon and Alaenys had been talking, they had been watched, by both Alicent, who planned to use this marriage to secure Aegon on the throne, and Aemond, who had developed a childish crush on Alaenys, one he assumed would pass once his brother got married. He was 13, it was probably puberty anyways, he told himself.

But what Aemond didn't know is that he would rid himself of the crush he seemed to have on Alaenys. The older girl who was to wed his brother in less than a fortnight, would haunt his very being, and his dreams, waking and sleeping. She would be the object of his ire, but mostly she would become the very reason he would breathe, and fight, she would be everything to him. She was his very desire.

But now, as he sulked about the marriage like any teenage boy would and miss out on the fact, he didn't have a dragon, he wouldn't worry himself over Alaenys further, for now. 

☀︎☀︎☀︎

as many guessed, green on green meant aegon vs aemond, but not until aemond is aged up more

for those who didn't find this story through tiktok, thats where i post edits for all my fanfics, same user as for wp; wishtherebestars, and i have some for this story up