CHAPTER THIRTY

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER THIRTY

♤♢♧

The words of Prince Daemon Targaryen were written in the common tongue, for these two assassins had no idea what anything less than the common tongue was. Blood and Cheese were not the smartest men of Westeros, they knew that, and Daemon knew that, but all he needed them for was to kill the bastards' sons of Aegon Targaryen, because they were a treat to Alaenys' claim and for revenge for Lucerys.

Alaenys knew she didn't have a clean recorded to judge her father, but she did feel some form of guilt, not that she thought Aegon would care much for his bastards, any of them, but she did feel for the mother, who probably raised them with the best ability she had, alas Alaenys did believe the only reason she came forward was to put her son on the Iron Throne, but none in the realm would accept that, they'd rather have Aemond and his son after Aegon, which would still make Alaenys win.

Some Lord had raised that question to the Greens, why not put Aemond and Alaenys on the throne, then both would win, and Aegon was near ready to accept that, but with the death of Lucerys, Rhaenyra and Rhaenyra's child, who Daemon had said was named Visenya, none of the Purple's wanted to sign for peace. Nor did the Green's, they were challenged, and Otto had been killed. Poor excuses to waste the lives of many, which was why Alaenys vowed to only lay waste to those who stood against her, the smallfolk would not suffer unless they went against her.

Blood and Cheese were nothing more than messengers, messengers of Death. And while they were not great scholars, they knew the ways of battle and war. They had observed Dowager Queen Alicent and knew she cared for the children, as she had seemed to lost grip of her own. They knew the bedtime of the two children, and how they would be in the Queen's chamber for a final prayer before being send to a heavily guarded wing of the castle. Their only opportunity was when they were at prayer, Alicent wouldn't risk bringing them to the Sept, thinking her room was safe with Cole outside her door, but Blood and Cheese worked for Prince Daemon, who knew the castle better than the Usurping Greens.

They had sneaked in, and before Alicent could even register them, she was gagged, and the two children were taken. Bound and gagged she was left in her room, trying to alert the Guards. But by the time they took notice, Blood had laid waste to the eldest bastard boy, just before he was caught. He had laughed manically, never revealing why or for who he had done it.

Cheese had managed to bring the youngest bastard before Daemon, who looked at Gaemon Palehair. Daemon had looked upon the child with disgust. And Alaenys had looked at the poor child and nearly let him live, but her father's voice rang strong through her head. She couldn't, she knew she couldn't. So, she was saying all sorts of prayers in her head, from the Old Gods to the Valyrian Gods to even the Seven. She had killed before, or ordered it, but a child was different in her eyes.