Ch 24) To Tell You The Truth

I snicker at the four stupified girls who stare at our huntsmen with varied amounts of disappointment.

"Professor Oobleck?" Weiss is the one to break the ever so slightly disappointed silence.

The professor in question begins to pace back and forth giving us a rapid debrief without breaking all in a single breath, making it hard for me to follow and too much work to listen properly. The only time I manage to understand what he says is when he leans forward in front of Weiss with a stern look.

"It's 'doctor' Oobleck, I didn't earn my Ph.D. for fun thank you very much."

Weiss stands there confused as he backs away, looks at a clipboard, and says. "Come now students according to my schedule we are already three minutes behind...schedule." Before walking to the ship, which is a lot faster than one would expect.

Ever the optimist, our team leader makes an attempt to raise moral.

"Well alright then, it looks like we're going to save the world with Doctor Ooble-" She gives up half way with a sigh, "Okay yeah, when you say it out loud it sounds worse." 

"It sounded the worst at 'we're going to save the world', do you know how many heroes die when they try to do that?" I ask bitterly.

"Die a hero?!" A shout comes from behind us. "You're going on a mission to go out a hero without us?! I'm so sad!" Nora declares. "And maybe a little hungry. That last one's not your fault though, Ren." She adds glaring at the boy who merely crosses his arms and turn away.

"Sounds exciting, where are you going?" Jaune asks, ignoring the other two as he approaches our group.

"Oh just outside the kingdom," Ruby answers him.

"Hey! So are we!" Nora chirps.

"And what are you guys doing? Anything death defying?" I grin.

Pyrrha is the last to arrive but is the one to answer after a brief laugh, meeting my eyes immediately, "Nothing so exciting, unfortunately. Nora and Ren wanted to shadow a sheriff in a nearby village."

"We set out tomorrow." Ren adds.

"Then you can party with us tonight." A new voice cuts in as Neptune and Sun roll up. "We're shadowing crime specialists. All inner city detective stuff, we get junior badges." Neptune adds in a show offy voice.

Which only seems to impress Jaune.

"We'd normally go into the city with you guys, which means stuff is always exploding and junk." Sun remarks.

"You could have just said you always have a 'blast' when you're around us." I grin as I hold out my hand for Yang to high five, and a loud satisfying clap rings out at the cost of my hand now turning red.

Weiss gives me the usual eye roll while I earn a few chuckles from the richer in comedy characters around me, Sun included.

"Yeah well, we thought this would be a good chance for us to check out the kingdom when it's normal for once." Sun shoots me a grin.

"Well-"

"Four minutes and counting!" The doctor shouts from the ship, cutting Ruby off.

There's a brief silence coupled with awkward glances shared all around. Seeing how no one plans on doing it themselves, I take it upon myself to break the weird atmostsphere.

"You guys are looking at us like we won't make it back or something," I say in a light tone.

"Don't jinx it Neir." Ruby lightly smacks my arm with a pout, then turns back to the others.