56

"Because I love you."

Mai slowly sat up and Kirishima let her, his red eyes staring at the ceiling in shock, his arms spread over the bed like a starfish his mouth slightly parted as his own words sunk in.
'Well shit.'
Did he actually just say that? Was he so stupid that he confessed on accident?

Mai stared at the bed for a second, all of the sudden looking very interested in her sheets.
Did he mean Love love? Or like freind love? Either seemed kinda unreasonable to Mai.
Why her? Who in their right mind would actually-

Oh now she could see it. Yeah looking back he was being obvious about it too. Turns out Mai was a firstclass idiot huh?

"Pardon?"
She squeaked.
Where did she even learn that word?! She'd never said 'Pardon' before in her life!

"I said I love you..."
Kirishima laughed awkwardly, sitting up and pressing his lips together. Well now that's out in the open. He glanced at her and saw something he'd never seen before. Something many people didn't even know was possible.

Mai was blushing. From the tips of her pointed ears to the bottom of her neck she was bright red. She reached up and fiddled with a lock of her tangled black hair and avoided Kirishima's gaze.

"Oh."
She whispered staring at nothing in particular.

"I'm sorry! I-I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable I just... You asked me a direct question and I-"
Kirishima fumbled over his words frantically.
Why'd he have to say Love?! 'Like' would have been fine! But Love might scare her off!

"It's fine."
Mai looked at him, her eyes searching his features timidly looking for any sign of a lie.
"I just didn't really think that was possible."
She admitted looking away again.
Was he actually being legit?

He tilted his head and blinked, a frown crossing over his own blushing face.
"What do you mean?"
He asked, Mai pulled her knees to her chest and her tail made an appearance. Lifting up to wrap around her legs with her arms.

"I don't think anyone has ever loved me. Even as a baby I ended up at an orphanage, and I have no proof my parents actually died. Them dropping me off has always been a possibility.
As a kid I didn't have friends, even the adults around me only took care of me out of obligation. So it's not like they actually cared about me, and... Well you know what happened after that."
She signed and gave a defeated shrug.
"I guess if you go long enough without being loved you forget that it's even possible."

That was the saddest shit Kirishima had ever heard. All his life his parents had loved him unconditionally, he'd had countless freinds and his parents always told him that no matter who you were there was someone out there that would love you for you.
Maybe that was just something they said to reassure their emotional teenage son but he didn't think so.

He knew Mai was his person even if she thought it was impossible. Even if she thought she was unlovable. No matter what she believed. He was going to prove her wrong.

"Well I love you, and your friends love you. So it is definitely possible. I guess you were just wrong."
He said simply with a shrug.
She returned it with a gentle smile that consisted of one side of her mouth tilting upward. Kirishima smiled proudly. He was already seeing results.
"O-okay..."
She said looking away nervously. So what now?

"You know I tried to kiss you once."
Kirishima said bluntly. Mai looked over at him, A kiss?
He chuckled a little bit.
"At the hospital, I think that's when I first realized I liked you. I leaned in to kiss you after what you said... But you thought I was sick."
He laughed and her already red face went several shades darker.

"O-oops."
She stuttered clearly embarrassed, how could she miss that? It seemed kinda obvious when pointed out but Mai assumed no one would want to kiss her, so Kirishima passing out from exhaustion seemed more realistic to her.
He smiled.
"I guess the timing was kinda weird... I mean it was right after Bakugou was kidnapped which isn't exactly an ideal time for kissing."
He joked, Mai shuffled on the bed an looked over at him.

"You can try it again."
She whispered avoiding his eyes.

"Huh?"
He asked tilting his head.
She shrunk back a little and brushed a piece of hair from her face.
"The kissing thing, you can try again."
She said finally looking him in his eyes, They widened and now both teenagers were a blubbering blushing mess.

"O-okay."
He said moving closer to her and brushing the last remaining strand of black hair from over her eyes, taking in every blush covered feature.
She had a light scar on her temple that he'd just noticed and she realized that his irises were rimmed with a crimson color that was darker than the red around his pupils.

He felt her breath on his face as he inched closer, his hand trailing from the base of her pointed ear to her chin. He then gently nudged her face upwards to meet his own and after what felt like an eternity, their lips met.

The contact made what felt like electricity run through Kirishima's blood, he reached around Mai's back with one hand and pulled her closer. Mai's heart thumped in her own chest, the feeling of nervousness hammering through her body as their lips moved together in a steady rhythm.

Her hands inched up and stopped at his shoulders gripping the fabric as Kirishima boldly moved her onto his lap.
One of his hands held the small of her back securely and the other played with her hair.

Mai's hand slow braved new territory as she moved it to touch his own hair. It was clean and soft, the usual gel had been washed out allowing it to fall around his jaw. She ran her hand through the soft strands and decided she liked his hair down.

Kirishima slowly started to recline, his arm still around Mai's waist. Once laying down his lips pulled away and Mai let out a questioning hum hoping she didn't do anything wrong.
He moved his head and rested it in the crook of her neck taking in the smell of her conditioner and pressing his lips against the soft skin of her neck.
Mai gasped quietly as his gentle kisses made their way back to her jawline and then up to the small spot just in front of her ear.
His lips pressed against the spot and sent a wave of tingling warmth through Mai's body and she inhaled sharply.

The hand in her hair pushed down and pressed her head against his chest, he planted a final kiss on her forehead and ran his fingers through her hair working out the tangles.
Did he want to kiss her all night? Fuck yeah.
But he needed to stop for now, he loved Mai and didn't want things to move really quickly.
He wanted to make sure she knew he loved her for her, not for anything physical.
Even if that meant waiting.
Hell he'd wait as long as she needed.
"I love you."
He whispered.

Mai adjusted her position on top of him, one of her legs was over his body and the other beside him on the bed, her arms were still on his shoulders pinching his shirt.
"I- uh-"
She hid her face feeling kinda ashamed.
What was she supposed to say? She didn't know if she loved him, maybe she did. But what if she actually don't love him like she loved her? Wouldn't Lying be wrong?

"It's alright, I understand."
He interrupted rubbing comforting circles in her back.
"You don't have to say it."

"Sorry."
She nuzzled into his chest.
"I don't know I've never... I trust you Kirishima, and I care about you and I feel safe like this with you but I just..."

"It's alright Mai, I get it and it's okay. Don't say it if you're not sure, I'll wait a hundred years if I have to. I'll wait as long as you need, just to hear you say it back."
He promised.

She nodded but a thought came to her.
"What does this mean? I've never done anything like this before."

"We could be like... A thing. If you want."
Kirishima suggested hopefully. That would be nice, like really nice.
"Like boyfriend and girlfriend?"
She questioned, eyelids drooping as her lack of sleep caught up with her.

"Maybe, do you want to be my girlfriend?"
He asked.
Mai yawned in response.
"Do we have to go around telling people? I don't think it's anyone's business."

"Okay, but if someone asks if I have a girlfriend I say?..."

"Yes, and then you tell me about it."
She mumbled eyes closing as she peacefully drifted off to sleep still laying on top of her...
Boyfriend?