33

Mai sat in waiting room of the hospital, waiting to see Midoriya.
She pulled her knees to her chest and traced the golden scars left behind from earlier.
Normally the events concerning the woman named Alma who may or may not actually exist would have freaked her out.

But currently she scanned the tv in the corner of the room, where a news reporter discussed another attack on UA.
And the student that was kidnapped.

Mai knew that Bakugou could hold his own, he was strong and stubborn but...
Villains were cruel, Shigaraki would do whatever he needed to get his way.
The heroes will rescue Bakugou in time but could they rescue all of him?

Mai was kidnapped, and a part of her was left behind.
She didn't want that for her friend.
She didn't want that for anyone, she wished she could have taken his place.
She wished she found him while rescuing every other student.
But it's to late for wishing.

Another person entered the room.
Kirishima walked and sat next to Mai.
"Are you alright? Are your legs healed?"
He asked.

Mai nodded and looked up at him.
He looked horrible.
But not in a blunt obvious way, his face was fallen and he had slight bags under his eyes. Mai could see the guilt plainly written across his face.
"Are you alright?"
She asked.

He nodded and faked a smile.
"Yeah! Just worried about Bakugou... That's all."

Mai nerrowed her eyes.
He probably was worried about Bakugou, but that's not all.
"You can be honest with me you know."
Mai said looking at the boy next to her.
He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.
"I just feel kinda bad you know, last night I just sat waiting in a room while everyone was out getting attacked by villains... And I couldn't even help like you could."

He looked down at his hands.
"Even if I was out there my quirk would only be useful in hand to hand combat..."
His eyes looked back over at Mai.
"But you used your quirk to save half the students out there... You're so amazing Mai and you'll easily become a top hero, you and Bakugou and everyone else..."

"And you."
Mai finished.
"Being a pro isn't all about quirks, some of the best pro's are where they're at because of hard work and attitude."

"Oh yeah.. like All Might and Endeavor."
He said sarcastically, naming the two top heroes with strong quirks.

"No. Eraserhead, Mandalay, Snipe, Fourth kind, Crimson riot.
These heros might not be in the top ten but that doesn't fucking matter. They save people Kirishima, that's what matters. not fame or quirks! In Tokyo there is a quirkless vigilante named Yūkan who works without a quirk but has saved an estimated 336 people within only this year.
Do you think these people aren't amazing?"
She asked.

He blinked slowly.
"Well yeah but they save people and yesterday-"

"You. are. a. child! Kirishima, A teenager! In highschool of course you're not saving people right now! You did the right thing by obeying your teacher yesterday and sometime in the future you will save thousands of people.
Your quirk is amazing, it might not be powerful compared to others, it may not be flashy but you can use it to protect yourself and others."
She grabbed his hand.
"You have the attitude of a top pro hero! The drive and the motivation. You'll go so far if you let yourself believe you can."

She said passionately and then she smiled.
It was awkward and odd and forced but it was beautiful.
She was doing something she hated and was insecure about to try to make Kirishima feel better.

And right now, with her fanged teeth and stretched smile she looked more beautiful than ever.
A blush crossed over Kirishimas face as he sat in shock with his mouth slightly parted.

"I- thanks Mai..."
He whispered taking his hand from her own and brushing a hair from her face.
He wanted to remember that smile for ever, capture this moment for an eternity just so he can see this rare smile over and over again.

He pressed his own lips together and looked around nervously.
Making sure no one was around to see him do what he was thinking about.
He began to slowly lean in, eyes never leaving Mai's lips and they settled into a closed position with a slight upturn.

He was almost there, so close he could feel their breath colliding.
His mind reeling confidently as he began to imagine what her lips would feel like against his own-

"Are you okay?"
Mai asked pushing him back slightly concern replacing her smile.
"Are you tired? You started to fall forward, And your face is red are you running a fever?!"
She asked putting a hand against his brow.
He gently grabbed her wrist all the courage and previous confidence disappeared.
"Yeah I'm a little tired..."
He whispered pulling away and abruptly standing up.

"I'm gonna go... Find something to drink."
He said in a haze of regret and embarrassment.
'fuck fuck fuck fuck."