14 To Think Me Healed Is To Think A Lie

Start from the beginning

My heart breaks for her. I'd asked myself those same things. This is like a mirror into my own experiences. I can't take away those feelings, but I can try to relate, "Hey Chas? You're the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on. Strong, determined, smart, I mean... you ran that entire shop by yourself. You figured out how to outsmart these hounds and get out. Earned your freedom and became a pinnacle of hope for yourself. If anyone deserves happiness, deserves the love that a good person can offer, it's you, honey. Now, the bears don't go crazy until a first kiss."

"Is this how you felt when you met Theo?"

"Theo and I have an interesting beginning. Your ex-wolf, Johnson, was my enforcer to follow all of Carters demands."

"Wait what?" I hush her and continue.

"I'd no idea about the magic and shifters. I was a photography professor amongst other things at the university where I'm from. Before that, Carter found me as my professor and convinced me he was the perfect gentleman, I let myself fall for him. After graduation he secured me a job. That's when the abuse started. Three years of hell on earth. If I didn't listen, Johnson handled me. One day I was given a good girl present of money to go by chocolate. Fun fact about me, I hate chocolate. Johnson took me to the shop to buy bread for the dinner I was planning to make and allowed me to get a donut instead because he knew I would like that more. While Carter was my boyfriend, Johnson knew me better with how much time we spent around one another. As I was eating my strawberry donut, I ran into Theo who was on a business call. Absolutely ruined my shirt and his. He was so shocked to find me, and I was mesmerized."

"You mean? The same man that ruined me had a part of keeping you with Carter. What happened after that?" She leans in, her hands now on my lap. I hadn't realized I never told her the back story. Or at least of all it. She knows the big details about how I got out.

"Slate must've scented him. Not that I knew it at the time, but it became an argument in the market. I was drug away and right before I left his sights, I begged him to save me. It was the first time I'd ever asked for help. I didn't know why, but something about him screamed savior. That night Carter handled me. I was in bandages for weeks. The next time I saw him was at an art gallery while I was forced to hang out with Carters parents. I begged him to leave me alone, as Carter would beat me to the brink of death. After that you know most of the rest, I got a job offer and Slate got me out of there. Johnson and Carter tried to stop him, but I was already bleeding over the car's seats by the time they broke the back door."

"And your bear... he never forced you into anything?" She peaks over to the doorway as if to check for peeping ears. I don't want to admit to her that they could possibly hear us, but I would like to assume they would be respectful.

"Never. He knew I came from a troubled past and worked hard to help me through it. Now he left out the bear shifter part and hoarded me to his den. I have absolutely no idea where he stayed while I lived in his home, but it was worth it. He's worth it. Taught me what it means to have a genuine love for another. I know it's overwhelming, and we have five thousand other things to worry about, but Hunter would do anything for your safety."

She sighs relaxing back into the seat. Her body slumps as massive amounts of tension leave her body, "I needed to hear that. Johnson really messed me up, and it's... weirdly nice to have someone that understands. I wish I could rip his throat out, however, for ever laying a hand on you."

"Join the club." I snicker, "You get Johnson, and I'll handle Carter?" I hold out a pinky, she wraps hers around mine. We lift our thumbs kissing the pads before pressing them together while still connected.